AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

corillion Avatar
corillion Cherie Orillion
Covington, LA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Tin Lizzy"
hello all
yesterday evening I was left on side of road because it seems my mechanical fuel pump (new-ish) didn't seem to be working correctly.
I pulled the hose off that went to carb and it seemed to spurt gas for a second and then.... nothing.
this was causing the car to start for about 2 seconds then quickly die.
first is ... please let me know thoughts on if you believe it is the fuel pump or some other issues

so, I decided I would go pick up an electric one and install in the trunk.
I have read all of the electrical side of this task with regards to inertia switches and cutoffs, etc so lets not start that one up again.
I have my solution there.

what I am looking for is suggestions, knowledge on the gas line side.
so, when looking into the trunk, my fuel line comes out on the passenger side and goes down through the floor
where is best place to add? what is best way to go about it? any surprises I might encounter?

I know I have also read about running through the mechanical one (having both) and/or not.
I realize running through the mechanical one with a diaphragm issue would cause a prob. so, what do I need to do with the old mechanical one in order to bypass? I have to seal it off how?

a bit of history (short story) this is a newly installed (600 miles) rebuilt engine from a reputable shop up north (im in Louisiana) that is why I say the fuel pump is new-ish.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Recheck it. Your fuel line should go on the left side w/ an in line filter. The vent line to the canister goes down the right side.

corillion Avatar
Covington, LA, USA   USA
ah ok,.,. will do
however, when I do find the correct line, same original questions still apply

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
For further info, what fuel pump is it? Some of the vendors like spitbits have been stating some of the cheap ones are problematic.

corillion Avatar
Covington, LA, USA   USA
the mechanical one that is installed ? no idea. came with engine installed. if there is something that will tell me I would look. in meantime, I will try to get pic

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
There are (and have been for some time) some real garbage mechanical pumps on the market. Which is one reason I went electric. Facet.
If going electric check the rated output pressure, 3 psi should be the max.

If you wish to retain the mechanical pump, you could just carry an electric as an emergency stand by. Unhook the fuel lines from the mechanical pump, connect them to the Facet type pump, run wires to a ground and an ignition sorce (coil) and away you go!

If I was to properly install an electric pump I would do away with the mechanical pump altogether.

corillion Avatar
Covington, LA, USA   USA
I do plan to change over to the electric. that is why I need to know how to 'do away with' the mechanical one. I believe I need to seal it off some way but would like instructions.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Blanking plate from a small block Chevy from any auto parts store I think is what you want.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Two types of Facet available, "Solid-State" and the classic Red/Silver/Gold top. The first is small - fag packet sized - silent and cheap. The others are Coke can sized, more expensive, colour graded to output and noisey!
I think that an SS is fine for a Spitfire.

Might not be good, though just slotted in where the mechanical pump is. Probably better low in the boot, below as much of the tank as poss.

And while you are at it, replace the hoses with R9 or R14 SAE spec hose that are impermeable to fuel vapour - vapor! - to limit the risk of fuel smells in the boot.

John

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Bomb"
Dude this is all covered 400000x over on this forum.

Please use the search function, it will literally spoon-feed it to you.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Most FLAPS sale a blanking plate for the various V8's and surprise, some fit our cars, might be a little bit big but the holes match up. Measure the holes center on yours and stop by and get one.
If you can get it below the tank, much better, as electric ones are better pushers. If the bracket is in rubber, it will help with the noise that some make. At least use rubber washers to mount.
Different ways to make it cut off if in a accident, just check the web for your way.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

corillion Avatar
Covington, LA, USA   USA
Chris --- "Dude this is all covered 400000x over on this forum.

Please use the search function, it will literally spoon-feed it to you."

I DID a search on fuel pumps. most of it seems to be discussions about the electrical component of this discussion and/or using both devices.
I simply want some tips, ideas, knowledge about where to install NEW electrical one in trunk near tank.
a little instruction on the install point/location inline placement will also be helpful.
I am not really looking to discuss for the um-tenth time about safety switches and cutoffs in collisions, etc.

in addition, I happened to ask about shutting off and sealing up old one when I install the new one.

sorry if I annoyed you

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Cherie,
You were too polite to say, so I will for you. Anyone who addresses you as "dude" is annoying.

John

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Terrible picture, but I mounted my 3psi solid state facet on the frame behind the front drivers side outrigger. It's been there 20 years or so.

It is as low as can be with regard the fuel level in the tank, close to electrical supply, in a safe place if there is a leak and is rubber mounted to the solid frame that transmists very little sound.

Oooops, better picture on it's way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 04:25 PM by Tonyfixit.

Attachments:
20170913_140330.jpg    12.2 KB
20170913_140330.jpg

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hi Dudette,Remove the mech pump and install Blanking plate,the hose that goes into mech pump will need extending/replacing to go direct to carb,the electric pump is best installed below tank on drivers side,hose from tank to filter,hose to pump inlet side from pump to pipe running under car

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Attachments:
002.JPG    40.9 KB
002.JPG

003.JPG    37.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
004.JPG    45.3 KB
005.JPG    39.3 KB
IMG_3143.JPG    61.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster