Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Those old radios crackled when you drove past an electric razor.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1484645 by Doug in Vegas Those old radios crackled when you drove past an electric razor.

Yes, but on the right night you could listen to Chicago from here in New England.
All the best,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1484703 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1484645 by Doug in Vegas Those old radios crackled when you drove past an electric razor.

Yes, but on the right night you could listen to Chicago from here in New England.
All the best,
Paul

As an aside - Do you know if the English radio come with short wave?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Doug,
When our cars were new I think some did. ISTR reading of radios with MW and SW bands in old UK road test reports. Now???? I think it is less likely as shortwave is not as popular as it was then. Web connectivity is more likely today I guess.
All the best,
Paul

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1484620 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1484593 by colodad
The other end is ? I have not had the pleasure to look for it yet.

Calvin,
AFAIK the other end is the most infamous thing a car can have in the harness: a hidden splice inside the wrap.thumbs downthumbs down
All the best,
Paul

That wire harness guy should be able to show where that darn (politely) connection is he's hiding under tape. It's a need to know, don't ya agree ?

colodad Avatar

parking in the house are ya ?

colodad Avatar
running some tests on the ballast voltages, I think the 12V coil is a good choice now.

key on : 8.03 vdc

run: 9.57 vdc

800 rpm: 9.70 vdc

1200 rpm: 10.54 vdc

2000 rpm: 10.82 vdc

2500 rpm: 11.05 vdc

3000 rpm: 11.37 vdc

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1484998 by colodad

parking in the house are ya ?

Shaving while driving.

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
In reply to # 1485157 by colodad running some tests on the ballast voltages, I think the 12V coil is a good choice now.

Wayne,

Lets talk about where you are obtaining the readings. What is your meter setup? The coil has both a high and low side, correct? Are you 1 side to ground on the high side, across the coil, low side to ground?

Alan

Cheers, Alan

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1484897 by spitfire50 Doug,
When our cars were new I think some did. ISTR reading of radios with MW and SW bands in old UK road test reports. Now???? I think it is less likely as shortwave is not as popular as it was then. Web connectivity is more likely today I guess.
All the best,
Paul

I remember having a 1960 Herald with a factory (vacuum tube) radio. The band selection was Medium wave or Long wave.

In fact I brought a UK Motorola with me to North America that could be switched between VHS, MW and LW. I could not pick up much of anything on the Long wave.

colodad Avatar
In reply to # 1485170 by alanroseman
In reply to # 1485157 by colodad running some tests on the ballast voltages, I think the 12V coil is a good choice now.

Calvin, Lets talk about where you are obtaining the readings. What is your meter setup? The coil has both a high and low side, correct?
Are you 1 side to ground on the high side, across the coil, low side to ground? Alan

Alan, My meter is set on 20 VDC, Positive Red lead on the + (plus) terminal of the coil, and the meter's black lead is on the negative side of the battery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 09:17 AM by colodad.

Attachments:
IMG_0474 balasted wire to coil voltage.JPG    44.4 KB
IMG_0474 balasted wire to coil voltage.JPG

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, Washington, USA   USA
I get similar reading as well. Not 6 or 12v

Bill

1980 Spitfire

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I had a lot of trouble figuring out what I had but when I changed to Pertronix ign it needs 12v constant problem solved for me

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
In reply to # 1485282 by colodad

Calvin, Lets talk about where you are obtaining the readings. What is your meter setup? The coil has both a high and low side, correct?
Are you 1 side to ground on the high side, across the coil, low side to ground? Alan

Alan, My meter is set on 20 VDC, Positive Red lead on the + (plus) terminal of the coil, and the meter's black lead is on the negative side of the battery.

Hi Calvin,

As soon as we get home I'm going to give that a go using the same setup and record my readings. Thanks for taking the time with the image.

Alan

Cheers, Alan

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
In reply to # 1485282 by colodad

if you have an electronic ing. The supplied voltage you read on a voltmeter will be a RMS value. The base voltage supplied is your 8v this saves time when charging your coil to fire. As your rpms increase faster pulses are supplied to the coil so your SLOW REACTING VOLT METER WILL READ A HIGHER VOLTAGE.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster