AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
Hi Guys,

I want to replace the coil, it's fine but I'd like to place a new one, then make this a spare for longer trips. It's been in there for more than 20 Years.

How do I identify what it s for replacement? What kind of coil can I put in? How can I tell if my coil is ballasted? Voltage?

It does have a Lumenation ignition.

Help appreciated, I'd get a new one today before heading up to Vermont on Thursday.

Cheers, Alan

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-09 07:26 AM by alanroseman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Coil Question.JPG    47.6 KB
Coil Question.JPG

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Alan,
That looks like the standard Lucas coil. It might have a part number on it somewhere, but the label may be gone after all these years. Looking it up on SpitBits shows DLB102 as standard.
All the best,
Paul

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
My coil is ballasted, I have 6-8 VDC on + with the ign turned on.

coil has numbers on the bottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-09 02:18 PM by colodad.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
If the electrical system is original you have a 6 volt coil. Usually sold as a 12 volt coil w/ external resistor. There is a resistor wire in the car's original loom.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
See if there is a pink wire with a white tracer and more importantly - inspect it to see if that wire has been trimmed by a DPO. The factory cut it to a specific length. If there is any doubt replace it with an external resistor or eliminate it and go 12v.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1483907 by Doug in Vegas See if there is a pink wire with a white tracer and more importantly - inspect it to see if that wire has been trimmed by a DPO. The factory cut it to a specific length. If there is any doubt replace it with an external resistor or eliminate it and go 12v.

Agree with Doug here, I have learned to hate that pink and white wire :-(

alanroseman Avatar
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1483907 by Doug in Vegas See if there is a pink wire with a white tracer and more importantly - inspect it to see if that wire has been trimmed by a DPO. The factory cut it to a specific length. If there is any doubt replace it with an external resistor or eliminate it and go 12v.

Calvin, Al & Doug,

Thanks guys... I'll check it with the ignition on and off. I thought the Lumination ignition might tip you guys off as to what coil I have..

What do I have to lose by the elimination of the resistor wire and replacement with 12v coil?

Cheers, Alan

A BMCNE Cruise:

colodad Avatar
In reply to # 1483921 by alanroseman
Calvin, Al & Doug, Thanks guys... I'll check it with the ignition on and off. I thought the Lumination ignition might tip you guys off as to what coil I have..
What do I have to lose by the elimination of the resistor wire and replacement with 12v coil?

time removing the wire, but you could have a 12V coil on a ballast system and it still runs anyway.
check the ohms. pull the wires off coil's + & -, then meter between them, 1.5 or 3.0 ohms, (+/- .3 for meter correction)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1483921 by alanroseman

Calvin, Al & Doug,

Thanks guys... I'll check it with the ignition on and off. I thought the Lumination ignition might tip you guys off as to what coil I have..

There is an overall drop on the system as the starter motor is cranking and in cold weather feeding 12v into a 6v coil gives you an extra boost.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Unless you have a very old battery and use your car in freezing temps I doubt you will notice any differance in starting ability.

Other than that, 12v ignition is simpler with less to confuse or fail.

alanroseman Avatar
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
So here's what it looks like and you can see why I want to clean the area up...

The blue cylinder?. It has a black wire which is NOT terminated, just a spade tip hanging in the air..

No sign of pink & white.. I do not see 12v in any condition... Ignition on or running etc.

Cheers, Alan

A BMCNE Cruise:

Attachments:
Coil Wiring.jpg    48.7 KB
Coil Wiring.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Alan, in addition to pink and white wires I also dislike crimp connectors and wires with non standard colours.

Personally I would aim to clear everything out and start from scratch using an appropriate mix of coloured wire from wiring diagrams, going back to the ignition switch if need be.

Produce your own custom diagram by whiting out resistance wires you might no longer have.

If you look at early diagrams (pre resistor ignition) it really is quite simple. And if in a dire situation, you could always Hot Wire the coil direct from the battery as a 'get you home' measure.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Agree with Tony. Each connection is a potential failure. Best to start over from scratch.

One white wire from the key to the + side of the coil and one white with a grey stripe going to the tachometer and another to the points in the dizzy or the output from your electronic ignition.

colodad Avatar
In reply to # 1483959 by alanroseman So here's what it looks like and you can see why I want to clean the area up... The blue cylinder?. It has a black wire which is NOT terminated, just a spade tip hanging in the air..

No sign of pink & white.. I do not see 12v in any condition... Ignition on or running etc.

I have a after market ignition system, 2 wires are connected to the coil with the harness wires.

The starter solenoid has 2 sets of 2 wires connected to the relay coil terminals, where those missing colored wires are found.

Attachments:
cwIMG_0560 coil wires.JPG    36.9 KB
cwIMG_0560 coil wires.JPG

cwIMG_0561 starter solenoid wires.JPG    36.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
cwIMG_0562 starter solenoid wires.JPG    37.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
cariguy Avatar
cariguy Frank Kern
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, USA   USA
1976 Triumph 1500 "Harold"
The blue cylinder is a condenser. It is used to filter out radio interference. I would just leave it alone.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Triumph Herald

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links