Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Sounds like 72/3/4 had the round ones thanks Doug

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1480836 by Spitfirejoe While we are on the topic of SCCA Dash Plaques, does anyone have the capacity for making these things?

A trophy place can do it. Getting one to mass produce a few thousand and act as a supplier for the world of LBCs may take some doing.

PorterHouse105 Avatar
PorterHouse105 William Porter
Hampton, Virginia, USA   USA
The SCCA logo is copyrighted and a reputable supplier requires a letter of agreement from SCCA to use he logo.
That being said, I obtained such letter and have listed the later year dash plaques on eBay.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1491205 by PorterHouse105 The SCCA logo is copyrighted and a reputable supplier requires a letter of agreement from SCCA to use he logo.
That being said, I obtained such letter and have listed the later year dash plaques on eBay.

Might as well include the link.

GTN Avatar
GTN Silver Member Gary J
At Large in, TN, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "BKNBLK"
Both my 78 and 80 have the SCCA badge (rectangle). I created a decal to replace destroyed badges. My post on June 2, 2016, "Attn to detail": No doubt many of you who rebuild a Spit want a new SCCA badge for the dash. Mine is ruined by weather and age. I refinished the dash but wanted a badge to replace the old one. None are available, at least that I can see. So with the help of a local sign maker I designed and produced a couple dozen adhesive badge replicas. These are made of the same product used on license plates in many states, and are weather and environment resistant. They are sized to exactly fit on the current SCCA badge, with a slight exacto knife trim. If anyone is interested in having one let me know by PM, GT The decal fits over the badge or can be applied to the dash. See the pics at my post in June 2016. GTN

Gary J at large...

PorterHouse105 Avatar
Search for "Triumph Spitfire Dash Plaque" on eBay. The item number is 272880807444.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1491561 by GTN I created a decal to replace destroyed badges.

Is the brass area transparent?

PorterHouse105 Avatar
The dash plaques are solid brass.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1491595 by PorterHouse105 The dash plaques are solid brass.

I'm wondering if the decal can go over my existing plaque after I shine it up.

Also, if they're waterproof.

GTN Avatar
GTN Silver Member Gary J
At Large in, TN, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "BKNBLK"
Doug to answer your question. The decal is not brass or transparent it is made of environmental and water resistant material like that of license plate stickers (expiration, wheel tax sticker). We could not duplicate the brass plaque color exactly but came up with this close and acceptable color. It can be stuck over a badly weathered badge or directly on the dash. See my post "Attn to detail" 06/02/16 there are pictures. I did look at the referenced plaques that porterhouse suggested on ebay. They are brass, but not being an aficionado of Triumph car interiors was not sure if it was what the factory had installed since it had many additional dates to 1978. The decals I created are duplicated off plaques in my 2 Spits 78 (I am second owner) and 80 (I am at least 3 owner) both dashes were intact on these cars, so my point is, are the additional dates factory or an aftermarket recreation not put in from the factory?
GTN

Gary J at large...

PorterHouse105 Avatar
There were three factory-installed dash plaques.
The earliest were round and includef only 1969 and 1970. The next was rectangular and included years to 1973. The last one was rectangular and included years to 1978.
The ones I am selling are SCCA authorized, exact reproductions of the last (of the three styles) factory-installed dash plaques.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1491726 by GTN Doug to answer your question. The decal is not brass or transparent it is made of environmental and water resistant material like that of license plate stickers (expiration, wheel tax sticker). We could not duplicate the brass plaque color exactly but came up with this close and acceptable color. It can be stuck over a badly weathered badge or directly on the dash. See my post "Attn to detail" 06/02/16 there are pictures. I did look at the referenced plaques that porterhouse suggested on ebay. They are brass, but not being an aficionado of Triumph car interiors was not sure if it was what the factory had installed since it had many additional dates to 1978. The decals I created are duplicated off plaques in my 2 Spits 78 (I am second owner) and 80 (I am at least 3 owner) both dashes were intact on these cars, so my point is, are the additional dates factory or an aftermarket recreation not put in from the factory?
GTN

The Spit didn't make it easy for badge makers as it won thru the 70s. It's gotten to where you only had to read the last entry to know the year of the Spit.

I am making mine a little retro so I'm eventually going to install the round bronze one.

agitator Avatar
agitator Jon Trovati
Gold Beach, oregon, USA   USA
thats strange as my 74 has a big round one

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1491772 by agitator thats strange as my 74 has a big round one

John,
Not strange at all. The '73 championship wasn't won until very late in the year. By that time the dash badge for the 74 model year had already been ordered and some had been fitted.
BTW these badges weren't "factory installed" They were either done at the distributor or at the dealer. They are a North America only feature. I'm not sure if they were on the Canadian market cars, they could be USA only.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster