Wiring in a pair of electric fans?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

archer77 Gold Member Mike Kuhn
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Without getting into the upper/lower the attached photo shows my solution. Welded a bung to the gooseneck. It works well.
MTK

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
fan control-thermocouple.jpg    44.9 KB
fan control-thermocouple.jpg

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
One of my few (LOL) deficiencies.... I don't braze - I do solder on a regular basis (general contractor who does lots of plumbing work when necessary) - and, since I sold my welder 30 years ago - I don't weld......

Doesn't answer the initial question though.... (I'm not an electrician when it comes to DC voltage) - why can I not tie the radiator fans in to the engine temp sensor? It would seem like the perfect place....

Z

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504927 by TheZster Question on topic from a newbie to the forum (be gentle)......

I like electric fans...... I don't like thermocouplers run through my radiator hoses nor taped to the radiator..... Why is it not feasible to couple the fan control with the engine temp sensor via a simple electrical connection....??

I've heard the "inlet side of radiator vs outlet side of radiator" argument.... but am of the opinion that engine temps going high need the fan boost - regardless of radiator inlet/outlet temps....

Illuminate my mind - before I order the parts I want to buy....

Thx guys

Z

The fan controller temp sensor and the engine temp sensor are vastly different devices, serving different needs.
How much do you know about electronics? Hysteresis? Motor control circuits?
It's possible to design and build a circuit that can serve that purpose, but it's far more than '...a simple electrical connection'.

As for the "inlet side of radiator vs outlet side of radiator" argument, I suggest following the lead of the OEM engineers,
who have lifetimes of cumulative expertise and billions of dollars on the line.

Here's a link that gives more details on cooling systems
http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20Folder/Engine%20Cooling%20Pg2.html

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Basically a fan controler turns a fan on at a pre set temperature, and then turns the fan off at a pre set lower temperature. They can be purchased inexpensively in a range of temperatures.

A temperature sensor will decrease it's electrical resistance as it gets hotter, it is not an On-off thing.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
The purpose of the engine temp sensor is to operate with the temp gage in the cockpit.
It contains a lump of material with wires attached that changes resistance with temperature
The temp gage needle basically indicates how much current is flowing through the gage.
As the temp changes, the resistance changes, changing the amount of current flowing through the
gage, and the needle moves and points accordingly.The gage current is only about 100 MilliAmperes.

The purpose of the radiator fan temp sensor is similar, but it and the circuit inside the fan controller works differently.
There are two setpoint temperatures, TempHi is when fan is turned on, TempLow is where the fan is shut off.
Initially the fan is Off, and only gets switched On when coolant heats up to TempHi.
The fan stays on and continues to run until the coolant cools down to TempLow, and then gets switched Off.
This cycle continues automatically
The Fan current can be up to 15 Amperes, 150 times greater than the gage current.

I fail to understand why you are uncomfortable with the fan temp sensor attached to the radiator fins.
You are likely happy enough with the same arrangement in your car or house A/C?

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Thank you all for the feedback. I know my limitations - and electronics /DC power is certainly one of them..... You've been a big help.

Z

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504927 by TheZster Question on topic from a newbie to the forum (be gentle)......

I like electric fans...... I don't like thermocouplers run through my radiator hoses nor taped to the radiator..... Why is it not feasible to couple the fan control with the engine temp sensor via a simple electrical connection....??

I've heard the "inlet side of radiator vs outlet side of radiator" argument.... but am of the opinion that engine temps going high need the fan boost - regardless of radiator inlet/outlet temps....

Illuminate my mind - before I order the parts I want to buy....

Thx guys

Z
Coulping it to the sensor would require a custom built driver board. A thermocouple/ thermostat device is an all in one solution. Mounting it in the correct hose means you need simple tools.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links