AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Limey Midget Man Avatar
Limey Midget Man John McGuire
Raytown (Kansas City), Missouri, USA   USA
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Liberty"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Justice"
Ever heard of coolant dripping from the timing chain cover? Almost looks like it could be coming from the crank, behind the harmonic balancer, but maybe more investigating needs to be done. Could it actually leak from a freeze plug behind the cover? Seems like it would drip into the oil pan rather than come out past the crank seal.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Are you sure it is not leaking from above in the water system and then running down to the seam around the front cover and around it to drip off? I think you are correct in your thought about it going into the oil pan if actually from behind the cover.
Dan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Could be a freeze plug or the water pump.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
I would check the water pump very closely.

Limey Midget Man Avatar
Limey Midget Man John McGuire
Raytown (Kansas City), Missouri, USA   USA
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Liberty"
The water pump is brand spanking new. Just installed it onto a freshly rebuilt engine. I will look closer with a flashlight to see if it could be running down around the gasket surface where the water pump bolts to the block. I am seeing a little bit actually on the bottom side of the crank, just behind the harmonic balancer. Can't imagine how it would get there unless from behind.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I swear by Permatex Indian Head Shellac for water pumps.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1477815 by Limey Midget Man The water pump is brand spanking new. Just installed it onto a freshly rebuilt engine. I will look closer with a flashlight to see if it could be running down around the gasket surface where the water pump bolts to the block. I am seeing a little bit actually on the bottom side of the crank, just behind the harmonic balancer. Can't imagine how it would get there unless from behind.

DING DING DING !!!!
When troubleshooting a new issue, start unwinding events backwards from the most recent work done ...

glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1477944 by clshore
In reply to # 1477815 by Limey Midget Man The water pump is brand spanking new. Just installed it onto a freshly rebuilt engine. I will look closer with a flashlight to see if it could be running down around the gasket surface where the water pump bolts to the block. I am seeing a little bit actually on the bottom side of the crank, just behind the harmonic balancer. Can't imagine how it would get there unless from behind.

DING DING DING !!!!
When troubleshooting a new issue, start unwinding events backwards from the most recent work done ...

I have had two incidents with water pumps over the years where brand new (rebuilt) water pump shaft seals were leaking. Actually, it turned out that one didn't even have a seal installed. A lot of labor to find out that the company rebuilding the pumps had zero quality control.

Cliftondutch Graeme H Holland
Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK   GBR
Ditto with the water pump. Rebuilt my 1500 lump and used a new old stock pump, leaked after 150 mile. The next rebuilt pump leaked as soon as it was fitted. Third one has been fine for the last 900 mile, touch wood.

Also can get leaks down the water pump mounting studs if the threads are not sealed in to the water pump housing. Coolant runs down the threads and drips off the nut at the end of the stud.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

VitesseEFI Avatar
VitesseEFI Nick Jones
Yeovil, Somerset, UK   GBR
If you eliminate the water pump from your enquiries......

there is a core plug (freeze plug) semi-behind the engine front plate on the manifold side. Hope that is not your issue because there's a lot of dismantling to get to it. Also two of the timing chain cover fixings towards the top on the manifold side go through into the water jacket. They should be studs, put in with sealant.

Nick

spitfireheaven tony spitfire
oakley, california, USA   USA
Take out two top left bolts of timing chain cover see if coolant escape from there.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster