TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Diff gasket renewal; how do I seperate the casing?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MjrLeeStressed Avatar
MjrLeeStressed Rodney Flavel
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
I need to replace the main gasket (page 190, position 8 in the Haynes Workshop Manual).

On page 189, section 4, it states..

"Turn the points so that the 2 chamfered parts on the edge of the carrier allow removal of the differential housing"

Can someone explain this in a way I might understand please?

I have all the 8 bolts removed and there is some very slight movement evident of the 2 casings - suggesting they are not stuck together.

Always appreciating the help and suggestions.

Rod

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
You must FIRST remove the two side axles.
They just come apart with gentle persuasion.

FWIW, I've been doing Spitfires for nearly 50 years, worked on dozens and dozens of diffs.
I have NEVER replaced that diff gasket, I always just used a thin layer of gasket sealer.

But if you have one, do be sure to scrape away all the old stuff on both sides before placing it.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Rodney,
Along with removing the side axles that instruction is trying to tell you that the inner workings of the diff have to be in the right position to get the casing apart. You can turn the input shaft to get them in the right position, but I can't remember ever having to do that to separate a diff unit.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MjrLeeStressed Avatar
Thanks gents.

My understanding being I don't need to remove any more components as shown in the attached photo.

A simple turn of the input shaft will locate the right position allowing removal.

Note: the reason for replacing the gasket is what appears to be excessive oil leakage. Perhaps not needing renewal but I'm covering all bases while I am working on the drive shafts (The UV joins were bone dry).

Rod

Attachments:
20170813_080746.jpg    42.2 KB
20170813_080746.jpg

Iron man Avatar
Iron man David More
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Use a allen key to remove the four screws on each stub axle retainer plate. Rotate the flange to the correct position to remove the screws. Use a couple of sturdy screw drivers on each side of the retainer plate to work the stub axle out. Once all the bolts are removed from the diff head you can tap a flat blade screw driver in to the join to unstick it. Make sure the new gasket is not to thin or it may not seal. Use gasket sealant on both sides of gasket. Clean metal faces before reassembly. Tighten bolts evenly (tight but not broken). Make sure you use the correct oil (GL4). Modern oils will eat the thrust washers over time. Some diffs had fibre thrust washers fitted instead of copper ones. Make sure the thrust washers are still there as the fibre ones will have disappeared by now.

David

MjrLeeStressed Avatar
It now makes sense to remove both the stub axles. The attached image shows their position when in situ.

Job now complete!

Thanks again!

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 04:58 AM by MjrLeeStressed.

Attachments:
20170813_184939.jpg    37.2 KB
20170813_184939.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster