Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
Not a Spitfire tale of woe, but a torque wrench and reading comprehension tale of woe.
I was replacing the front shocks and struts on our Prius, and everything went fine. The next day, I wondered whether I'd torqued the top three nuts to spec. I opened my service manual, found the correct value, and proceeded to torque them down nice and snug.
And ripped the stud right out of the strut top.
Turned out I was reading the torque value for the rear struts. Not the front. So I was trying to snug them to 53 pounds instead of 28. Except the first stud snapped before I got there.
Moral of the story:
Read twice. Torque once. And don't keep fixing things until they break.
Robin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
One of my sayings, "I learn by breaking." Hang in there bro. john

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Oh crap
I joined the fix it til it's broke club once I have let my membership lapse,I hope permanently

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
I have never confused inch pounds and foot pounds , that's my story and I'm sticking to it till the bitter end . Never happened so don't even ask , ok ?

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
A few years ago I was working on an out drive on a boat and tried a brand new. 1/4" torque wrench from harbor freight set to 15in/lbs. After half a rotation it just felt wrong so I tested the new wrench on a different bolt on scrap metal and found the wrench wouldn't "click" even when set to zero. Glad I didn't snap the bolt off.
You get what you pay for. They took it back for a full refund.

N5329K Avatar
The supply house I got the "quick strut" set from is overnighting a new assembly for the price of shipping, even though it was my mistake and not theirs. Why?
"Because you were honest," they said. Meaning I didn't try to convince them that their strut was defective and came apart at 28 pounds.
I guess they get that a lot these days.
Robin

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Read the title of this topic aloud the same way you say, "Bond, James Bond".

mykeeb33 Avatar
mykeeb33 Silver Member Mike Bostwick
Puyallup, Washington, USA   USA
How about a shout out to that supply house?

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
+1

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

N5329K Avatar
In reply to # 1477902 by mykeeb33 How about a shout out to that supply house?

Let's wait and see if the part arrives on time (tomorrow), and if it does I'll be happy to let folks know where it came from.
Robin

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1477701 by Lizzard I have never confused inch pounds and foot pounds , that's my story and I'm sticking to it till the bitter end . Never happened so don't even ask , ok ?

Or foot pounds and NM. Never done that...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster