AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Simple76 Avatar
Simple76 Bill C
Evensville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Simple"
Here is a couple of pics that might help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0216.JPG    76.5 KB
IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG    37 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I see two options. 1. cover that bearing area with something easy to get out but that will seal it from grindings, then use a small tool such as a Dremel and do your best to grind that burr back to the shape of the surrounding metal. If you are lucky it is distorted only in the top 1/8 inch or so. If that is true then you will still have some original shape inside of that to match to. Make sure not to grind anything not distorted.
2. drop it all, pull that mount piece off and do the same thing on the bench. The main thing will be to not over cut it and to not grind any area that is not distorted.
Dan

teeka56 Avatar
teeka56 mike leisner
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
+1 on Dan's advice. I might be tempted to put a bit of sealant around the outer portion of the seal in the area affected.
( the seal removal /replacement was my least fun things I have done on a spitfire)

Good luck!!!

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
josh bowman Avatar
Spring City, Tennessee, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Spit"
Bill, I'm coming in late here, so forgive me if I'm repeating something. The 2 threads are kind of confusing, but I've been there, you're kind of desperate and need answers. Just to be clear, is the part that dented #1 on the Moss Motors diagram? Spitfire Diff

If that is the part, can it not be just pulled out by prying with a screwdriver and the new seal tapped in? Or is it part of the casting?

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1477688 by josh bowman Bill, I'm coming in late here, so forgive me if I'm repeating something. The 2 threads are kind of confusing, but I've been there, you're kind of desperate and need answers. Just to be clear, is the part that dented #1 on the Moss Motors diagram? Spitfire Diff

If that is the part, can it not be just pulled out by prying with a screwdriver and the new seal tapped in? Or is it part of the casting?

Josh, he removed the seal, but doing so he was punching the diff case that holds the seal.
now he needs to remove that burr he created.

josh bowman Avatar
Spring City, Tennessee, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Spit"
Thanks Calvin, sounds like a little metal work is in order.

In reply to # 1477777 by colodad
In reply to # 1477688 by josh bowman Bill, I'm coming in late here, so forgive me if I'm repeating something. The 2 threads are kind of confusing, but I've been there, you're kind of desperate and need answers. Just to be clear, is the part that dented #1 on the Moss Motors diagram? Spitfire Diff

Josh, he removed the seal, but doing so he was punching the diff case that holds the seal.
now he needs to remove that burr he created.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster