TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Alternative modern engine for a Spitfire, Rover K series, Heaven or Hell?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gregxster Avatar
Gregxster Gregg Pederson
Atascadero, California, USA   USA
1967 Volvo Amazon (122) "The Volvo"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tri-yota Spitfire"
I am partial to the Toyota Corolla GTS / MR2 4A-GE motors. They are light, small, easy to find and have a HUGE aftermarket following! I mated mine to a Toyota W58 5-speed trans from an early Supra. I went with Weber carbs to simplify installation and I like the "old school" look. My motor is built up and has an 8400 rpm redline/rev-limiter. I have not had it on a dyno but my engine builder says "its probably good for 120 rwhp".

1969 Tri-yota Spitfire: http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/gregxster

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20150927_121350.jpg    57.4 KB
20150927_121350.jpg

20161105_081443.jpg    48.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20150927_121410.jpg    55.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Interesting heat shield.

Was the steering column clearance an issue?

Gregxster Avatar
Gregxster Gregg Pederson
The engine came with an aftermarket header. It was modified to go over the steering rod and then a flange installed. The down pipe was the trickiest. It curved under the steering rod, back towards the engine and down between the frame and engine. The heat shield you see has a sheet metal shield under it. The top heat shield was for a Miata header. Check out my Journal for pictures.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA

Does the steering shaft get hot?

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
I really, really like the 4A-GE motor swap, this motor was strongly inspired by the Ford BDA Twin Cam.
But the 'drift tax' has made it harder to find RWD motors and transmissions, and prices can be high.

Meanwhile, it's raining Miatas in America.

Gregxster Avatar
Gregxster Gregg Pederson
Does it matter? I have not felt the rod on the interior of the car. I will check it next time I drive it!

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
In reply to # 1477209 by Tonyfixit Nick, Carter, I completely agree. From time to time, usually when I have not been for a drive for a while, I get thinking of alternative power plants. Then I go for a brisk drive and appreciate (once again) the sheer spirit of the engine.

This morning I was driving the wife's (I guess I own it too) Toyota Matrix, it has a modern engine, about the power that I would be looking at if I were to re-power the Spitfire, VVT, fuel injection, flat torque curve yadda yadda
and as boring as hell!

There is a lot to be said for the character of an engine.

That's exactly the boat Im in now. For me it comes down to available cash. I can do the Miata swap for a small fraction of the cost of redoing my drivetrain but when I drive the spit, and it's running well, it sure is a pleasure to drive. I love the sound of the engine and the feel of it but it needs to be completely redone, engine, trany and diff. I keep flip flopping back and forth on what I want to do. I have to make a decision one way or another before the snow flies.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster