Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
I was having a consistent problem with my directional flasher. The indicator light would not stop flashing after the turn signal had returned to the neutral position. It would keep on flashing very faintly only noticeable while night driving. I was absolutely sure it was a grounding problem, because the flasher unit I was using had an independent ground terminal I gave it a direct ground to the battery after grounding to the chassis or body did not work. Attached are photos of both the old CEC Electronic (1 month old) and new German flasher (Flosser 1621003) installed as a replacement. The new unit works without flaw.

BTW the new Flosser 1621003 3 terminal 12v max 300 watt unit was purchased through British Parts Northwest. The CEC Electronic was purchased at Moss Motors.

The CEC model flasher may have uncovered another problem, I understand these units are very sensitive and because it has an independent ground may have been detecting a back feed of power through the independent ground terminal. Any thought anyone?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 02:24 PM by dvcasano.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_7811.JPG    40 KB
IMG_7811.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG    32.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
David,
A backfeed of power on that ground would mean there wasn't a good ground where you had it connected. On the body that is perhaps almost believable if the small connection from the negative battery cable to the side of the battery box is missing. Once grounded directly to the battery it just doesn't add up.
All the best,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Since the flasher on the Spitfire is powered prior to the turn indicator it's not inconceivable that it's solid state ground is causing it to walk in it's sleep.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
I replaced the rear turn signal lamps with LEDs. (I have done the brakes as well)

I have not replaced the flasher relay. The turn signals flash at the regular speed. But the indicator on the dash does not flash.

It will flash when using the hazard flashers, but not with turn signals. If I put the regular lamp back in, the indicator will flash.

Is this due to not changing to an electronic relay?

Roger
80 Spitfire

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to Rogers issue:

It could be due to not using the electronic unit but if there is enough current flow through the flasher to make it work for the lights it should also work for the indicator light, it is obviously operating the relay in there. That light is a separate connection on the flasher and is not dependent on the other lights at all. Having not looked inside a late model flasher, the only thing that sort of makes sense is that there is insufficient current without both standard bulbs to cause the relay in there to catch hard enough to make the connection for the indicator contact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 08:42 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
Thanks. I wondered if there might not be enough current.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Roger,
Some Spitfire flasher circuits use the unlit side of the car as the ground for the repeater bulb. When you install LED bulbs that ground is blocked by the one way nature of LEDs, so the repeater doesn't work. I'm not sure if there is an easy work-around for this problem. You can check my idea by putting one regular bulb in and checking for repeater operation when the other side directional is selected. If the repeater works that way and doesn't work when the opposite side is selected I'm right.
All the best,
Paul

Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
Roger, I had the same issue. Installed LED rear turn signals and they flashed just fine, only the dash indicator light didn't work, Changed to an electronic flasher and now it works fine (only anomaly is that the indicator light usually flashes one or more two times after the the turn signals turn off. But that's just British electrical charm.)

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The late model cars, 77-80 (FM60000 to FM95000) use a single flasher and don't use the back feed to the opposite side lights as the ground from the indicator light. It is its own circuit on these cars.
Dan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
It should be noted it's easy to add a ground and use the two wires of the single flasher to make a left and right indicator.

TinDrum Herald Ma
cologne, NRW, Germany   DEU
In reply to # 1477794 by Doug in Vegas It should be noted it's easy to add a ground and use the two wires of the single flasher to make a left and right indicator.

Or add two additional diodes and use the single indicator with a ground.

Herald

RogerE Roger E
Stilwell, USA   USA
I purchased an electronic flasher and now it seems to work fine. It does not seem to do the extra flashes, but that would be a minor problem. Or like Greg said, part of the British car charm.

The only problem was the FLAPS sold me the wrong relay. It has the positive and the ground terminals reversed. I put some jumper cables on it to get the connections correct until I can get the correct relay.

thanks every one!

Roger

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1477833 by TinDrum
In reply to # 1477794 by Doug in Vegas It should be noted it's easy to add a ground and use the two wires of the single flasher to make a left and right indicator.

Or add two additional diodes and use the single indicator with a ground.

Herald

Very good. It depends upon which way the diodes are pointed.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links