Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spicybbq1981 Daniel Barker
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hi there,

I have a 1980 spit and the PO installed a 3 rail non syncro gearbox. He said that Victoria British pieced a clutch kit together for him and I trust his mechanical skills. Im curious as to what slave cylinder I need or if the rod may be the culprit because the clutch slips bad -- like its not fully disengaging. I could adjust the slave back a bit -- havent tried that yet -- right now I have it adjusted all the way into the bellhousing. Its been bled to exhaustion. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone can help me with some point of reverence photos with a 79/80 spit for wiring of front signals and the electric rad fan it would help a ton. Thanks so much!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Daniel, go the other way with the slave and give it a go. The slipping may be oil on the disk, or worn out pressure plate.
What he did is OK, if done right, requires a disk that works on the splines of the early box and a different drive shaft.
A Odd reverse technology.
On the wiring, lots of photo on the web, just type in the year. If you fine relays in the light system, he changed that so you can get back to the gang here and we will help on that.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I recalled and posted just yesterday about a Quintin Hazel clutch kit I once got from VB (a long time ago)
the clutch was very light in action but lacked grip and gave up (started slipping) after about 18 months use!

Sorry to say this (again) but comming from VB I would have to question the quality of the parts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Essentially the clutch kit you use is the same as fitted to a 74 1500.

It is a miss-match of the 1500 pressure plate and a friction plate that is used on an MG midget!

All good suppliers will know what you need.

AverageH Hamid N
Mount Vernon, WA, USA   USA
Also, just make sure that the bleed nipple on the slave is in the "up" position, as in it's on the top when looking at it inside the car. That allows the air bubbles to rise when bleeding it. The clutch hydraulics should literally take 5 minutes to bleed. The brakes on the other hand....

-Hamid

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster