Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Steering limits

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Steering limits
  This topic is about my 1969 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Hi Guys,
Just wondering has the GT6 ever been fitted with mechanical stops to limit the turn travel of the front wheels?
Or is full lock normally determined by the end travel of the rack and pinion set up?
Only I think I will have to limit my travel so that the tires do not foul with the exhaust manifolds,(non standard).
Has anyone else had to do this?
Also I notice the rear suspension has no rebound stops fitted, (PO removed?) do you think they should be fitted?
Thanks for any info,
Regards,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
No, they never were, neither front or rear. In stock arrangement, no need for them.
Dan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
You can add them if your wheels rub inside the fender well.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Paul,
Limiting the steering lock to prevent rubbing has at least been discussed before. Not a horrible idea, but you do lose the amazingly small turning circle.
The rear shocks act as the rebound stop. At least they do if they are right for the car.
All the best,
Paul

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Thanks Paul,
You are a wealth of knowledge, so just to be clear, see photo where I am pointing with a pencil. So the pad near the rear spring with a hole in it does not have a rubber bump stop or anything else fitted in here, is this correct?
Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
P1010104.JPG    40.2 KB
P1010104.JPG

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Paul,
Nothing on the suspension will hit that spot. So, no, no rebound stop there. The shock does the job if it is the right shock. Conversions to frame mounted shocks may not hit a limit in the shock. It is better if they do, but since the shocks are adapted from other uses they may have more rebound travel than the GT6 needs.
All the best,
Paul

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
There is a rebound stop on the rear of Roto-flex cars, and it's mounted on the same bracket in the rear wheel arch that holds the top of the shock absorber.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Attachments:
Capture.JPG    10.9 KB
Capture.JPG

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
In reply to # 1465291 by Herald948 There is a rebound stop on the rear of Roto-flex cars, and it's mounted on the same bracket in the rear wheel arch that holds the top of the shock absorber.

Andy,
Rebound? Are you sure? It looks more like a bump stop to me. What hits that when the suspension goes to full extension?
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Looks like something to stop the shock, if it should bend enough to hit it.
Dan

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
Lotus used Spitfire/Herald racks with steering stops on the Europa, and I am almost certain that they were on the Elan as well.
The steering lock on the Europa was horrible, at over 40 ft, but that was the only down side.

Attachments:
Lotus1.jpeg    51.2 KB
Lotus1.jpeg

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Hi Guys,
Thank you for all your input, but today I loaded up the front wheels and performed a lock to lock rotation with no interference with exhaust manifolds. Made a big difference with a load on the suspension. So my concern with needing to add a steering stop was unfounded, but unfortunately not all good news.
The front of the car looks like it is jacked up, (Gasser Style), I will have to address the front springs once all the weight is back in the car. The current distance from top of tire to wheel arch lip is 4-1/4 inches, this is with stock springs and 185/60R-13 tires. I guess some further good news might be that both sides measure the same.
For future reference does anyone know the ratio between shortening the spring length and how much it will drop at the wheel lip?
Thanks again for your help,
Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
Gasser RH.JPG    39.1 KB
Gasser RH.JPG

Gasser LH.JPG    35.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Paul,
Roll the car out before you do anything to lower the front. The rear does it more, but the front will stay up when lowered from a jack or stands too. If the tires can't slip sideways the suspension stays up. This is also a place where all pivot point bolts should be tightened only with the wheels at the normal ride height. Preloading the bushings will shorten their lives and hold the car above normal ride height.
All the best,
Paul

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
OK, thanks, good tip,
Cheers,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links