fuel tank vent hoses on 1972 GT6

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

opelgt Gary Lee
Auburn, nebraska, USA   USA
Just recently purchased a 1972 GT6 fresh out of 25 years of storage. Need to go through everything after sitting so long. Great body and frame with only one rust spot on left front lower valance. No sign of patching on rest of body or floors! Took gas tank out to clean and trying to figure out where all the vent hoses go to. There are four coming off the tank and one more coming off the gas filler spout. They loop around the trunk and disappear up in the headliner on rear passenger side. Have not located where they come out yet. Anyone know please let me know what to look for. I can't see any canister up front either. None in the trunk as the lines go all directly up in the side headliner. Thanks.

Gary Lee

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCF0881.JPG    46.1 KB
DSCF0881.JPG

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, California, USA   USA
Hello Gary Lee,

Congrads on the 72 GT6.
The fuel vapor lines that you are referring to actually go up under the right side rear headliner just behind the vent as there is a canister mounted up there behind the headliner backing board,
Sorry for the poor photo but it is the only one I have of it when my car was apart.
Hope this helps.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Attachments:
Vapor Tank Right Rear GT6 Area.jpg    36.7 KB
Vapor Tank Right Rear GT6 Area.jpg

SpitnSawdust Avatar
SpitnSawdust Silver Member Richard Simpson
Lewes, east sussex, UK   GBR
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Little Blue"
A mint gt6. I am not even remotely jealous! Does it run?

TinDrum Herald Ma
cologne, NRW, Germany   DEU
Herald

Attachments:
plate_n3.jpg    54.8 KB
plate_n3.jpg

opelgt Gary Lee
Auburn, nebraska, USA   USA
Thanks Martin and Herald
Great pictures. Now I know what to look for. Have to remove the side headliner more to find and check the connections. Canister up front is missing so will have to get that one. Car is not mint, but, good unmolested original. When I bought it, I could not turn the engine by hand, but, found the transmission was slightly stuck and not in neutral completely. Also needed a new starter. Got it turning over now and have to get the gas tank back in. It does need carpet, headliner and driver seat repair. Has new dash pad and wood is good. Body is solid and straight and I think the paint will buff up nice for a driver. I want to get it running and see what I have mechanically before going too far. I have had two different Spitfires in my past so am somewhat familiar with them. Probably will have more questions as I go along. Great forum! Thanks to all.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster