Installing lowering springs from Victoria british

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GT6Mike Mike Hoffmann
Oakville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Lowering springs from VB and Gaz adjustable shocks from BPNW. I ground out the inside of the spring so that it would fit on the shock perch (as per other owners suggestions), but it's sitting funny and I'm not sure if I have the spring upside down or if I need to take more material off the inside of the spring.

Pics show the top of the shock not being centered when the spring is sitting flat on the perch. Another pic of the gap between spring and perch when the shock is centered in the retaining plate.

I've also posted a pic of the springs side by side. On the left spring you can See the first coil is wound a little tighter and touches the second, on the right is what it looks like on the other side - the coil is a little looser and there is a gap. I assumed the side with the gap went on the shock perch.

Before I go and grind out the other side of the spring does anyone have any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4671.JPG    44.4 KB
IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG    41.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4677.JPG    52.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GT6Mike Mike Hoffmann
Pic of spring sitting flush on perch but I'm not able to put the retaining plate on when it's like this.

Attachments:
IMG_4676.JPG    28.7 KB
IMG_4676.JPG

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Mike,
Grinding a spring fills me with horror. These are highly dynamic parts, and safety critical.

Far better, if you have a mismatch between the size of the spring and the size of the seat on your damper, is to make/get made a collar that fits the spring on one side and the damper on the other.
It will raise the suspension by the thickness of the collar, but you have adjustable dampers to cancel that.

JOhn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GT6Mike Mike Hoffmann
Thanks John, but I barely took any material off the spring. Mostly is was just getting the finish/paint off to make this fit.

Any ideas on my question about if these are installed upside down?

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
A spring is a spring is a spring is....

There is no 'upside down' ... except possibly wth an assymmetric spring, that is narrower, or has closer turns at one end, and may not fit if turned around.
Even that, designed to bind the closer turns when compressed so that the remaining turns make it stiffer, can be like a quark, up or down.
But yours are symmetrical.

There is always a gap between last coil and platform, at some point in the circumference. Most car springs are ground (carefully and skillfully! No insult) by the makers, to taper the last turn and provide a flat surface for the platform, but it is impossible to carry that taper to a wafer thin end of spring!
"Pics show the top of the shock not being centered when the spring is sitting flat on the perch." If this refers to the top pic, it looks pretty damn centered to me!

In your last. I can see the slight difference, but it is very slight. You could check that they are the same stiffness, by placing a plank on each and standing on it. Get an assistant to measure the height of the plank from the floor, which should be the same, unless you lose/gain weight between measurements.
You can calculate the spring rate this way, Your Weight/compression of spring (Inches) = rate in lbs/inch. If this is different from what your supplier said, then you may want to send them back!

John

thebronze68 John Werthmann
El cajon, CA, USA   USA
I just installed my springs from BPNW 1inch lower with stock shocks. all went together easily. I like the 1 inch lower stance as well !

smiling smiley

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Mike, what are you trying to do with lowered springs and adjustable shocks. As John says, I have uprated spring with stock shocks and everything works fine.

'S all for now
Vic

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Mike,
The upper spring seat will center the spring. The small amount it pushes the spring to center it won't make any difference. The weight of the car on the spring will make it all look and work just fine. Overthinking.
All the best,
Paul

GT6Mike Mike Hoffmann
Thanks for the sanity check Paul. For reference here's a better pic of what I mean when the top of the shock is not centered in the spring.

For what it's worth the stock shock does not have this problem. Only with the after market GAZ adjustable shocks.

Attachments:
IMG_4693.JPG    37.1 KB
IMG_4693.JPG

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
When you put the cap piece on there you will center this top end to fit that cap and the center pin of the shock. That is what Paul was trying to get across. It is just the uneven bottom end that makes it lean over a bit. Not a big deal. And you will have to compress the springs to attach the caps unless you are lucky.
Dan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster