help with triumph noises

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rich K Richard Kuklentz
Saylorsburg, PA, USA   USA
Got a few noises in the rear of my 78 spitfire...wondering if there are any shade tree mechanics in the Lehigh valley area who might want to give a listen to my machine and offer suggestions. Thanks in advance. Rich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
neilsie Avatar
neilsie neil S
toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Merlin"
Shade tree mechanics!
I love that expression.
N.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Some noise problems are very common, can you describle them.

For instance, a rythmic, low speed knocking that increases with speed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rich K Richard Kuklentz
Saylorsburg, PA, USA   USA
have it up on blocks, looking for loose stuff. what I remember is accelerating with not much noise and a rattle letting off throttle which sounds like universals. I assume its the drive shaft [ transmission to rear]. will you get the same noise with the universals on the rear differentials ? also ,with car in gear should there be a bit of play in the drive shaft ? all universals looked good. nothing really loose. will drive it soon and report other noises. thanks for the help

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, California, USA   USA
Hi Rick K,

I had a rattle in my GT6 that drove me crazy for a while. It only occured when I let off the accelerator.
Eventually figured out it was the muffler that was causing the rattle as it had failed internally and had a baffle loose which rattled when the exhaust gas reduced because of the lack of acceleration.
Hope this helps.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Typically it is the axel UJ's that give more trouble than those (same sized) UJ's on the drive shaft. They transmit higher torque and may have to transmit it at a greater angle.

Put the rear on jack stands and rotate each wheel by hand. There is no garantee a bad UJ will reveal it's self even then.

No you should not have rotational slack in the drive shaft, but it is common. Typically it is due to worn (often to the point of not existing!) thrust washers in the diffs planetary gears.

One thing I discouvered about our cars years ago, If you can't find the sorce of a noise, just wait awhile, it will become obvious!

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
Another thing that can help tell drive shaft U-joint trouble from axle U-joint trouble is the drive shaft turns about 4 times as fast.
All the best,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1464674 by neilsie Shade tree mechanics!
I love that expression.
N.

When the bough breaks the engine will fall.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster