Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ArcticOne Avatar
ArcticOne Silver Member John Bulmer
Medicine Hat, AB, Canada   CAN
Hey all, been some time since a post of mine.

Rudy spent the past 9 months away from home, following a breakdown on the side of the highway 1000 KM from home. I got him fixed up by the crew at Mike's British Auto in Kelowna and then he spent the winter resting at my brother's place in the north Okanagan.

In May I finally got the opportunity to drive him home. It was an enjoyable trip home and it was fun having the Missus following us in the SooB.

For the past few years I have noticed a minor grinding in the rear end. Could never find an issue with it. Said grinding got louder and growlier as we continued the drive. At one point I thought something had broke loose as the car seemed to have a slight fish tail. However no evidence of issues when parked on the side of the road.

Safely at home I was able to get him jacked up and wheels off. First hint of something amiss was the mass of metal shavings and grease packed in to the inside of the wheel. Looked a bit more and saw a few other signs of things being amiss.

SO off to Spitbits I was and ordered the hub puller and wheel bearing kits necessary for what will be a repair. Spitbits has been great so far as everything was in the post within 1 day of my order. It should get its way north of the border in early July and then I'll start the disassembly and repairs. I don't have much time these days, so will be limiting myself to about 1 hour of work per day.

I am actually looking forward to the project as I have not spent a lot of time getting car dirty in a while. I do have a good job and could have easily paid a shop to do it, but where is the fun in that!!

More later as the project progresses. There is some impetus for me as we need to get Rudy ready for his big 50th birthday celebration in February!!

Take care and happy motoring.

john

John B
Alberta, Canada

DON'T DREAM IT .... BE IT!

In the Igloo:

1968 Triumph GT6 MK I
1968 Triumph GT6 MK I (FE O2)
1988 SaaB 900S

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170615_204208.jpg    53 KB
20170615_204208.jpg

20170615_204332.jpg    53.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, be prepared to replace a axle. Sorry, but been there and done that, those needle bearings almost ate the shaft in half.
Have fun.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
And then install a camber compensator.

Joe

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ArcticOne Avatar
Hi Wayne

Yes, I hear you. Having read other posts I appreciate that there might be some nastiness coming my way. So far my strategy is to be naive and oblivious and simply go on an exploratory mission. It is lovingly referred to as my ostrich principle, which is a close cousin to the bend over and KYA goodbye principle.eye popping smiley

I am looking forward to the challenge as it will be a big change from sifting through contracts at work.

john

In reply to # 1464496 by trrdster John, be prepared to replace a axle. Sorry, but been there and done that, those needle bearings almost ate the shaft in half.
Have fun.

John B
Alberta, Canada

In the Igloo:

1968 Triumph GT6 MK I
1988 SaaB 900S

ArcticOne Avatar
Progress is slowly being made. I cannot say whether doing it with the axle in the car slows the progress or not. What I do know is that work and marathon training and travels to visit the Missus DOES slow progress.

To date, progress is:

I have removed the hub after help from the group here: Rear Hub Removal thread

And then processed with the removal of the remnant bearings from the offside axle.

Was going to start on the reassembly when I noticed that the inner hub is in rather poor condition (see pics). So I am off to purchase a replacement.

A question for the group - is there a preferred supplier for these? I have seen quite a variation in price from Spitbits (Used Hub ) to Rimmer Bros. (New Hub) to this one on eBay (Used with internal bits).

Am sure that Canley and Vicky Brits and Moss all have similar variations.

Any thoughts? Also do the hubs fit both sides of the car?

Thanks

john

John B
Alberta, Canada

In the Igloo:

1968 Triumph GT6 MK I
1988 SaaB 900S

Attachments:
20171014_113613.jpg    58 KB
20171014_113613.jpg

20171014_113638.jpg    78.6 KB
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
What are you doing about the axel?

Yes, a hub can be used on the left or right.

ArcticOne Avatar
Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply. First chore was looking in to the hub. Axle is second chore, once I get a chance to thoroughly inspect it.

john

In reply to # 1491941 by Tonyfixit What are you doing about the axel?

Yes, a hub can be used on the left or right.

John B
Alberta, Canada

In the Igloo:

1968 Triumph GT6 MK I
1988 SaaB 900S

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
John,
Not much inspection required. If you can catch your fingernail on the mark where the inner bearing ran on the shaft it isn't suitable for reuse. Similarly any such damage to the taper renders the axle useless. It looks as though yours has cut through the bearing and part way through the housing. That would surely wreck the axle.
All the best,
Paul

ArcticOne Avatar
So I did have to cut off the inner bearing race as it was on their tight. I figured that was a good sign.

As most of this repair and knowledge gaining is new to me, why do I need to replace the axle? What would happen if I just put on the new bearing and buttoned it all up??

Looking for answers to educate myself.

john

In reply to # 1491975 by spitfire50 John,
Not much inspection required. If you can catch your fingernail on the mark where the inner bearing ran on the shaft it isn't suitable for reuse. Similarly any such damage to the taper renders the axle useless. It looks as though yours has cut through the bearing and part way through the housing. That would surely wreck the axle.
All the best,
Paul

John B
Alberta, Canada

In the Igloo:

1968 Triumph GT6 MK I
1988 SaaB 900S

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The new bearing won't ride on that axle smoothly or in the right spot. The bearing and axle are machined to fit tight.

'S all for now
Vic

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
John,
That inner bearing race was part of the outer bearing right? The inner bearing is the needle roller bearing that runs directly on the shaft. It looks from the lower pic in post 5 of this thread like the shaft has worn through the inner bearing and made a substantial gouge in the bearing housing (hub). That hole is supposed to be circular, not have the extra cut-out at the top. That sort of damage doesn't happen without corresponding damage to the axle.
All the best,
Paul

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1492055 by spitfire50 John,
That inner bearing race was part of the outer bearing right? The inner bearing is the needle roller bearing that runs directly on the shaft. It looks from the lower pic in post 5 of this thread like the shaft has worn through the inner bearing and made a substantial gouge in the bearing housing (hub). That hole is supposed to be circular, not have the extra cut-out at the top. That sort of damage doesn't happen without corresponding damage to the axle.
All the best,
Paul

Exactly.
The thing is, you might consider buying a compleat hub and axel. Or at least buy the hub, axel, bearings and trunnion bush kit in one order.

It is still a project to design and make a hub with bearings that will not run directly on the axel shaft.

ArcticOne Avatar
Thanks for all the messages. I bad at not being that great in responding - far too many time burners on my hand.

I am happy to report tho, that the right rear axle has been removed. WOOOO HOOOO. Never in my life would I have thought that I could do something like that.

The axle does have scoring and Spit Bits was kind enough to send me one (after I sent them money of course). Need to separate the U-joint off the axle and then start the reassembly process. Noticing that there is some 'not smooth' movement in the joint in one direction.

Am hoping to get all of this done by February / March time frame - cause the house goes up for sale then. smiling smiley

Some pictures of the naked right rear and the removed axle.

Thanks for the help so far.

John B
Alberta, Canada

In the Igloo:

1968 Triumph GT6 MK I
1988 SaaB 900S

Attachments:
20171125_182858.jpg    66.7 KB
20171125_182858.jpg

20171125_182959.jpg    72.4 KB
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
John,
Check the length of that new axle. It looks like you have a short axle to replace a long one. A quick measurement is worth it to avoid any mix-up.
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1500047 by spitfire50 John,
Check the length of that new axle. It looks like you have a short axle to replace a long one. A quick measurement is worth it to avoid any mix-up.
All the best,
Paul

I agree. Unless the camera angle is messing it up. There is only a one inch difference but it will make a difference having two different length axles.

Dan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Triumph TR3

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links