Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the Forum.

I have a 1976 Triumph Spitfire with 33,000 miles. It is still the original paint and vinyl interior. I recently replace the original muffler with a Moss Motors factory look-a-like. It is considerably louder than the original as well as having an annoying drone at cruising speed. Any suggestions?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Bomb"
Go to an exhaust shop?

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
They must have sold you a "performance" muffler with most of the muffles taken out. It may be necessary to have a shop install a small resonator up stream from the muffler.
Or find another owner that wants that noise and do a trade.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
I have a magna flow universal. Its loud though.

I have a resonator it doesn't drone.

So no matter what you need a resonator.
Which one is a ????.

Do you have one?
How about the gt6 right out of the catalog.
Something in stainless probably would give a better sound overall.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hey Don, welcome to the Forum, '76 eh, nice year, especially if it's mostly original, congrats on the purchase.

Some guys have added resonators mid-way back if I recall. (I got distracted before posting this so I'll second what Dan said)

Personally I always thought the stock muffler hung down too low so I went to Zoro in Oakville and they set me up with an off-the-shelf, pretty quite, but still decent flow muffler and they were able to tuck it up nicely. Unfortunately it's a tiny bit little louder now with my Miata motor but still not enough to draw any attention and definitely not a significant difference in cruise (mind you I'm only turning 2800 at 120kph).

Zoro was pretty good, as Chris mentioned, they may have some ideas.

Good luck with it.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Original stock mufflers tended to be rather quiet. Some current replacement stainless steel mufflers are not as quiet.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Thrush makes a quiet muffler.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Welcome Don, this is the one I have, http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/walker-soundfx-muffler-1120100p.html#srp sounds great!thumbs up

'S all for now
Vic

Spitfire1 Jack Voller
Mt. Dora, Florida, USA   USA
Last year I also bought a 1976 with 17,000 original miles. I brought it up to approx. stage 3 racing specs and spent a little money on it but got it where I wanted it for "Spirited Driving". I bought the whole stnls. system from Ted Schumacker (Falcon I think from England) 4-2-1 header and exhaust with resonator. It bolts right up nice and tight no custom fitting and sounds great, except when your foot is in it at above 4500 rpm area. I also have O/D and that helps tremendously. Good luck.

tightapex Avatar
tightapex Greg Bailey
Gilroy, California, USA   USA
The previous owner equipped mine with a MONZA exhaust system. It's a loud beast. I actually enjoy using foam earplugs at the moment. It tends to filter out lots extraneous sounds and leaves the exhaust burble intact. Give earplugs a shot till you get things fixed. Heck of a lot cheaper.

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
That Droning is horrible when the bonnets up. Ear plugs won't block it out. I drove bonnet down year round.
I thought about this for awhile, so I tested my hunch. It made sense to me I was sitting in front of a very large Woofer that was magnifying the exhaust harmonics.
I unbolted the muffler from the hard rubber hangers attached to the bottom of the boot, suspended the muffler from the frame. It worked.
Look at a speaker, wires from the magnet are attached to the cone.
hmmm... I wonder if my radio could be attached, turn that Woofer into a musical advantage.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1459813 by colodad That Droning is horrible when the bonnets up. Ear plugs won't block it out. I drove bonnet down year round.

The bonnet covers the engine, the hood covers the cockpit.
I think you meant hood!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Pssst:

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1459832 by grubscrew
In reply to # 1459813 by colodad That Droning is horrible when the bonnets up. Ear plugs won't block it out. I drove bonnet down year round.

The bonnet covers the engine, the hood covers the cockpit.
I think you meant hood!

hmmm. eagle eye there, yer right, must been all that dronning mixed up the typing, but it was correct about the bonnet down driving, only one lash please.

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses to my problem "Exhaust too Loud". It has taken a month for me to decide on a solution and implement it. Here's what has transpired.

I contacted 2 Muffler Shops and 2 Speed/Performance Shops. None had an answer for me. I wanted to keep my car as original as possible. That meant I wanted to keep the look of the original muffler. In other words I wanted the inlet and outlets in the sides of the muffler, not in the ends. Apparently nobody does that anymore. Also, none of the above shops could come up with a resonator that was small enough to fit the tight spaces ahead of the muffler.

Finally, I found TTM Automotive at 1200 Victoria St N in Kitchener. They were fantastic. They found and installed a Flow Pro 3010 STR glass pack resonator. It fit like a glove and has made a tremendous difference. The cost was $175 plus tax. It was well worth it.

I've posted before and after pictures. I hope I did it right.

Thanks again,

Don

Attachments:
Before.jpg    43 KB
Before.jpg

After.jpg    38.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster