VIN Number

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

drdaws Don D
Orange, CA, USA   USA
I have a 1972 Spit, the DMV is disputing the VIN number. Is it the stamped number on a small rectangular plate visible thru the windshield (drivers side) or the plate attached to the body, drivers side, under the bonnet? I've registered this car for the last eight years, now I'm having a problem! thank you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kaatmanduu Avatar
kaatmanduu Silver Member Mike Stevens
Grass Valley, California, USA   USA
Someone at DMV saw the odd VIN, and said 'That must be wrong'. The VIN is on the windscreen tab. My '74 also has it on the drivers door B pillar.

ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
Triumphs don't have VIN numbers until very late in the run 79-80 ? , often confuses DMV and insurance companies .

Triumph Spitfire identification

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-10 02:12 PM by ExPatBrit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, Florida, USA   USA
Correct, the windshield and the tag in the door - they should match. And they are NOT VIN numbers, they are commission numbers. The one under the bonnet is not related, and not referenced in you title work. When I brought my car to Florida, the county would not issue a title, telling me Ga got it wrong. I had to get a special State inspector to verify the commission number.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
Moorhead, Minnesota, USA   USA
I have a 79 spit built in 78 looking at the comm # it seems like i need 78 replacement parts ????? help

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
What parts are you talking about?

Our cars tended to meld into the next model year, fortunately most parts are interchangabel between years. Unless you are entering concourse or need certain components that must match related components it seldom matters.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Just like current processes, the 79 model year cars were first sold in Sept of 78 and will have a 78 build date on the commission plate. It is still a 79 of it has a commission number above FM95001 for US market cars.
Dan

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
thats the problem my 79 is fm91680u?

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
Buying a fuel pump they sell them as 73-78 and 79-80 thats my I cant chooseconfused smiley

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Yours is actually a 79 model so order that way. Check this page from The Roadster factory.
Dan

Edit 11/12/17. My error and apology- My typo above. if your number is only 91xxx then it is actually a 78 model car as the 79 did not officially start until FM95001. It may have been originally titled as a 79 due to it sitting on the lot into the new year when new. It does not happen now but apparently did back in the day.
Dan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 01:25 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

Attachments:
1500 fuel pumps.jpg    46.2 KB
1500 fuel pumps.jpg

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
thanks dan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1302242 by drdaws I have a 1972 Spit, the DMV is disputing the VIN number. Is it the stamped number on a small rectangular plate visible thru the windshield (drivers side) or the plate attached to the body, drivers side, under the bonnet? I've registered this car for the last eight years, now I'm having a problem! thank you.

Next stop is your FLAPS where the kid asks if that "Triumph Spitfire" you mention is made by Buick.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Eric, the other location, other than the windshield, for the Commission number is as shown here. The numbers in both places must match or they won't be nice to you/.
Dan

Attachments:
Comm plate.JPG    57 KB
Comm plate.JPG

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Why am I reminded of this?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster