AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you repair or replace some worn out parts?
Add a new accessory?
Take it out for a drive on twisty back roads?

What did YOU do with your TR4 or TR4A today?

Post your update below......

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
ceecpa Avatar
ceecpa Silver Member Charles Edwards
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
I’ve been trying to develop a crankcase pressure relief system for the TR4. It had a road draft tube(RDT) but it was blowing oil out, so I removed the RDT and closed the hole with a plug from a TR4A. Then I vented the crankcase through the fuel pump aperture. So far so good. Then I went wrong.

I ran a hose to the intake manifold and that made the engine run too lean. I tried to adjust the carbs enough to overcome the lean condition but the engine wasn’t smooth. So, nearing the end of a day I put the car away. Then it wouldn’t start a day or two later. Oh, woe was me!

Today I routed the crankcase vent hose to the air cleaners. It started! This afternoon after my dog was corralled I took the TR into the forecourt and refined things.

Side effect: the brake booster is now getting full vacuum and the brakes work better.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Do you use or need an oil separator in that system, Charles?
Getting any oil on the filters or down the intake?

Nice to have full braking power, that's for sure, especially with the dumb moves some other drivers make on the road.

Skye

Member Services:
ceecpa Avatar
ceecpa Silver Member Charles Edwards
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 933332 by Skye Do you use or need an oil separator in that system, Charles?
Getting any oil on the filters or down the intake?

Nice to have full braking power, that's for sure, especially with the dumb moves some other drivers make on the road.

Skye

Thanks, Skye. I put an oil catch can in the system. Here's a picture showing the system. Taken from the firewall looking toward the grille of the car, you can see the blue catch can at the top of the picture with the line to the carburetors running to the right.

Attachments:
DSCF8164.JPG    58.3 KB
DSCF8164.JPG

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Took the car out for some exercise this morning, then again this afternoon. My son loves to be picked up in the TR4 from school. I know it was a cherished memory of mine to be picked up in it. Anyway, it sat a couple of weeks and was slow to start. Nothing unusual I guess for winter time. Anyway this afternoon I stopped to pick up some parts for my daily driver at the auto parts store (cue the lame electrical jokes from my friends at the parts store). Long story short, I had to leave to get the kid and the car just went "CLICK". No lights, no more clicks. Call his grandpa who gets him from school and start to work. So I start by checking the terminals and all the connections on the battery, firewall, solenoid, and starter. Battery is checked for charge, 12.4 volts. Not great, but should get me home at least. I ended up fiddling around for an hour trying to get the car to run. Finally I throw in the towel after draining a jump box and finally use jumper cables to get it to start before it died. I replaced the battery. The date code on the side of the battery was March 2003. I think my dad must have replaced it around May 2003. That battery lasted a heck of a long time. I usually get 5-6 years and call it good and replace them. Not that it would make any difference, but it was a Sears Die Hard Gold battery and it did die hard and fast. Kyle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Love that photo of your TR4 in the snow, Kyle!

I might have to use that next Christmas for the Triumph Exp newsletter, if you don't mind could you email me the full size photo? You can email it to webmaster@triumphexp.com and of course I'll give you credit.

I just did a little work on the Batteries 101 article in the Library, it might interest you:

http://www.triumphexp.com/article/batteries-101.html

Skye

Member Services:
1965percy Avatar
1965percy Bob K
Squaw Valley, Ca, USA   USA
Last month I finally got the body off the frame of our TR4A. About 3 years ago I started working on an air conditioning system for the car. Lot's of things got in the way and then I decided it was a good time to do a cosmetic restoration. The car runs like a top but was showing a little wear. We did a body off restoration back in 1984 and have done a few things along the way so it was time to do it one last time. Funds are tight so it will be a slow process.

MartysTR4A Avatar
MartysTR4A Marty Grier
Powder Springs, Georgia, USA   USA
Continue to make progress on my full restoration. Installed the transmission tunnel and panel support, mounted heater valve control cable, heater blower switch and airflow cable, installed LH lower dash pad, drilled holes in new switch pinthle.

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
I am currently restoring a 1962 TR4.

I restored the seats last week and got them back in the car.

This week I added a door mounted mirror on the drivers side. Don' t you just hate drilling holes in a fresh paint job!

I only need to do two things to complete the interior, Install the door panels and add 4 Lift-The-Dots to the carpet. I can not install the door panels on until I get the outside door handles back from the chrome plater and I want to buy a Lift-The-Dot punch for the dots and will also use it when I install the top in the spring.

By the way I do have one question with reference to the four Lift-The_Dots on the back most part of the carpeting. These are the four lift-the-dots where the hood (top frame) stowage cover grommets go on the studs first and then the carpet snaps on top. Do the dots face towards the back of the car, sides of the car (left two to the left side of the car and right two to the right side), or what?

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
I think the pictures speak for themselves..

Okay, I confess, it took a bit more than one day...

Jim

Attachments:
Before.JPG    63.5 KB
Before.JPG

After.JPG    57.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
picota robert d
oceanside, ca, USA   USA
Any comments will be appreciated.
My 66' Tr4a iRS runs great on the road. It is running w/o air filters now because of this problem:

The front carb will not take enough air with filter on or when tuning with synchronizer . The rear Stroberg carb responds fine. The front carb tends to drop engine rpm with syncronizae or filter on... drops engine rpm while on idling at any engine rpm. Could this be a valve problem. Have had e car since in 1976 and has always run superbly. Yes, rebuilt engine also years ago. It is only a fun car, perhaps driven 150 miles a week.

Thanks,
Robert
Oceanside,Ca

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Robert,

When diagnosing an engine problem, just remember it's simply a big air pump. If adding restriction to one carb causes the idle to drop, there are two potential problems. Either the air into the carb is already restricted and the added lack of flow is causing a problem or the restriction is causing the air to be drawn in from another source.

The carb / manifold on the front could be resisted. Check the butterfly to make sure it is operating like the rear one. The next thing to check is the motion of the piston in the carb. With the engine off, use your finger to lift each piston. If the front one is harder to lift, it may need to be cleaned, the spring might be binding or the damper piston is binding. Next, with the engine running, watch the motion of the pistons as you bump the throttle. If the front doesn't seem harder to lift, but does not move as much as the rear, you could have a air leak in the piston dome. Check to see if the diaphragm has a hole.

A bad exhaust valve could cause the air being drawn in through the exhaust manifold when the carb is restricted, but this is less likely. To check the valves and seats, do a simple compression test. As long as the engine is not showing blue smoke out the exhaust, a low compression means you have a bad valve. A bad ring will also lower compression, but will also burn oil. A compression gauge will cost ~$30 to $50, but check at your local parts store as some will actually loan you one. A bad exhaust valve seat can occur on this vintage engine if you run unleaded fuel without an additive and the valve seats haven't been upgraded to hardened seats.

I'm less familiar with the Stromberg than the SU, but I'm sure others out there will add anything I missed...

Jim

MartysTR4A Avatar
MartysTR4A Marty Grier
Powder Springs, Georgia, USA   USA
Installed new stainless steel front and rear bumpers. Also installed trunk lid lettering (Triumph, TR4A, IRS). The trunk lid is a replacement as the original was rusted through. It did not have the IRS plate holes drilled. A little nerve racking drilling new holes in fresh paint. Should have done this prior to paint. Did not catch it. Used the old lid to make a template. It was pretty easy in the end and turned out great. Still have a pretty long list of items to complete before spring. Can't wait to drive it. I bought it on blocks and have been working on it since June 2013.

Attachments:
image.jpg    42.5 KB
image.jpg

HerronScott Avatar
HerronScott Scott Herron
Staunton, VA, USA   USA
Marty,

Looking good!

Scott

picota robert d
oceanside, ca, USA   USA
Jim,

Thanks you for all the comments about air restriction. Will check compression and recheck your other suggestions. Never thought about damper piston. Will report soon with results.
Robert

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster