AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

62 TR 4 dash support
  This topic is about my 1962 Triumph TR4
edick Silver Member eddie Dick
Austin, TX, USA   USA
My 62 4 needs the top part of the dash support , the radio blank. Anyone know where I could find one. Thanks for the help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4-Original-Radio-to-Console-Mounting-Plate/332531912068?hash=item4d6c724d84:g:dFMAAOSwWx9Z5Sex

seller usually accepts a 10% less offer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 01:26 AM by Geko.

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
If you want it to be exactly like the original your TR4 came from the factory with, you need to check your Body Number. For US cars up to Body Number 8379 CT one style bracket was used and from 8380 on a slightly different shape was used according to the Triumph 20 TR4 spare parts catalogue.

The earlier car also had the bracket mounted opposite of the later dash bracket. On page 5-231 of the Triumph TR4 Workshop Manual it shows a picture of how the early bracket is mounted. For the early shaped bracket it comes up vertically from the bottom and bends in towards the firewall and then back out towards the rear of the car at the top. For the later shaped bracket it comes up vertically from the bottom and bends out away from the firewall and then back in towards the firewall at the top.

The early bracket does not have a large rectangular opening for the radio, but rather only 3 small 3/8 inch holes equally spaced. If a radio is installed in the early bracket, the original back lighting bulb just fits through the center hold. The later bracket had the larger rectangular opening for a radio.

Each bracket also has slightly different angles for the bends and the flat surfaces between the bends have different dimensions.

When I bought my TR4 (body number 8319) it had the center cut out like seen in Geko's link and i had to buy a piece of steel and weld it in, grind, and drill a new center hole to bring it back to original looks.

The bracket in Geko's link appears to be the early style bracket with the center cut out at some point in the brackets life.

Attached is a photo of the early style bracket used in my TR4, body #8319 CT. As you may notice my 1962 Bendix R2BT4 radio would not fit in the bracket if it was installed in the other direction.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 11:26 AM by Vila.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Radio 002.JPG    46.4 KB
Radio 002.JPG

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
I will have one in a couple of weeks after installing the original radio I just picked up. If you need one and can wait, let me know...Ryals

edick Silver Member eddie Dick
Austin, TX, USA   USA
Thanks. Mine is body number 7125 so it would be the earlier model.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster