Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
Folks, as soon as the temperature goes back to having 2 digits, I’m going to replace the pinion seal on my solid axle 65 Tr4a (mine is leaking). I’m assuming that the seal is made against the pinion drive flange, is that correct? If so, then should the drive flange be replaced as well? I’d hate to put it back together and find it still leaks because the flange sealing surface is worn too, or would wear be apparent?

Thanks

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
My suggestion is to try to polish the sealing surface of the flange. If you can't polish away the mark left by the old seal, put a Speedi-Sleeve on it.

I don't recall the size offhand, but it's easy enough to measure.
http://www.oit.edu/docs/default-source/facilities-services-documents/speedi-sleeve-size-listing.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
Randall, I was just on the Moss site and they have the Speedi-Sleeve for the flange.

Thanks!

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
When I was taking the picture of the clutch slave cylinder today, I decided to scope out the job of replacing the differential pinion oil seal. It became apparent that there is not a lot of space to move the driveshaft out of the way to get the rear drive flange out. It’s sort of boxed in by the exhaust, frame rails, and that square bracing plate where the rails angle toward the center of the car.

Can the drive flange be removed without removing the driveshaft from the car? If the driveshaft has to be pulled, can it be removed without dropping the differential? (my Tr4a has a solid axle)

Thanks

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Triumph TR3B

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links