Is this head useable?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jhallc Jeffrey Chormann
Acton, MA, USA   USA
I have finally gotten a good look at the head off my 62 TR4 ( CT10565). The car sat for almost 30 years and the rust has gotten pretty a good start. I figure to need new pretty much everything. The head was rebuilt and driven less than 3000K miles before it was parked. The head was machined and looks to still be flat at least where I can lay a straight edge. Everywhere not covered by the copper head gasket is rusted and pitted. I cleaned two valves with a brass brush and took some photos. Am I wasting my time on this head? I have a second head from a 64 TR4 that looks to be in better shape rust wise, but will need just as much work. Photos of 62 and 64 (only 1 photo) heads attached. The 62 images show a before and after cleaning and an overview of the head surface.

Thanks

jeff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
64 TR4 Head.JPG    52.4 KB
64 TR4 Head.JPG

IMG_1888[1].JPG    47 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1890[1].JPG    50.2 KB
IMG_1887[1].JPG    32.7 KB
pfw565 John Dickinson
Vancouver/Okanagan Falls, BC, Canada   CAN
Either head will need some work so if this one has been rebuilt, I would start by having it checked over by a competent machine shop. My guess is it would clean up as long as there isn't too much pitting.

I may be mistaken but looking at the amount of metal between the water jacket holes between cyl 3 and 4 suggests this is a later head than I would expect on a 62. I recently had to replace the head on my 63 (cracked badly between these holes which is a common problem) and my head had less metal in this spot. The later head I found to rebuild looks much like yours (except for the rust ....)

Cheers
John

pfw565 John Dickinson
Vancouver/Okanagan Falls, BC, Canada   CAN
Oops sorry. That should read "between cyl 2 and 3" not "3 and 4". And I wrote that before I opened the bottle of wine!

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jhallc Jeffrey Chormann
Acton, MA, USA   USA
It's entirely possible that this head is not original. I'm the third owner. The 2nd owner my neighbor who bought it in 1977 and had the engine rebuilt that year. He took it off the road in 1979 after putting about 3K miles on it. The first owner could have replaced the head during the 14 years he owned it. There is a good article on head changes thru the years on I think "TeriAnn's Triumph" page ( http://www.tr3a.info/ ).

Any suggestions on a good reputable machine shop in the Boston/Southern NH area would be great.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster