When I recently purchased my TR4A, it came without the side glass, inner waist seals and inner door/window handles installed. The window regulators are in place and working fine, and the channel assembly that attaches to the regulator is still attached to the bottom of the door glass. Being that I didn't remove all the pieces, I'm trying to get up to speed on what I need to do to reinstall everything, and while I have ordered some pieces, I think I'm still missing some things (there are bags of unlabeled hardware that came with the car, and I am still trying to sort through those...). I have been searching and reading for a few hours, so I think I am starting to get a reasonable idea of what I need to do, but would appreciate some help in confirming my assumptions and answering a few questions.
First, the following describes my assumption of how I should go about the installation in general terms:
- Insert the glass and leave it at the bottom of the door
- Install the inner waist seal into the clips
- Using the special tool (that I still need to make) to pull the clips up onto the door.
- Lift the window up and attach it to the regulator.
- Reinstall the door panel.
- Reinstall the interior handles.
Can anyone please confirm that I have got things in the right general order?
Now, here are several questions that I haven't been able to find clear answers for yet (or I just haven't been able to fully understand what I read):
1. I think, from what I have seen, that the clip retaining the inner waist (fuzzy) seal should be orientated so that the larger channel with the sharp barbs attaches to the metal of the door, and the small protrusion of the clip attaches to the seal, correct?
2. Being that I didn't remove the clips, how do I know where they are to be placed along the door and seal? How many are to be installed on each side?
3. There are remnants of the 'water curtain' assembly inside the door cavity. Historically, on other cars, I have seen these installed between the door and the interior door panel, rather than within the door cavity. What is the correct installation for these cars?
4. When attaching the door glass to the regulator, I see in the parts manual that a leather washer and 'retainer, stud' are to be used to insulate and retain the glass. As I don't seem to have these, can anyone let me know where I might get some (I have looked without success on the websites of a few of the usual suspects)? Or, if anyone has information or pictures showing what these look like, perhaps I can find something equivalent locally. I suppose I could probably use a rubber washer instead of leather, and probably some sort of a circlip would work for the retainer, but it would be nice to have a better idea of what the original hardware looked like.
5. Should I put any type of grease or lubricant on the window mechanism?
6. On the passenger door, there is a 'Link Assembly' (AU17) installed (although it appears that it is missing a retainer, too). See attached picture with item circled in red. However, on the driver's side, this item is not currently installed, and yet the door mechanisms both seem to work. Can anyone help me understand what this items is intended to do?
7. Is there anything else I should be considering here?
Sorry for all the questions, but I kind of feel like I have walked into the theater half way through the movie, and am trying to comprehend the plot, characters, etc.
Sincere thanks in advance for any advice!