AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TRF Aftermarket Wiper Switch
  This topic is about my 1967 Triumph TR4A
smdl Gold Member Shaun Laughy
Courtenay, BC, Canada   CAN
Hi, folks.

When I purchased my TR4A recently, the wipers were not connected. The previous owner said all that was required was connecting the switch, but that was unfortunately not accurate. Having now disassembled the motor and cable rack for cleaning and lubrication, I'm happy to report that the wipers are now working nicely on low or high, and I can trigger this by either grounding the wires at the motor or at where the switch would be (if there was a switch installed). So, I know the whole system is now working well, and I just need to connect a switch to complete the job. Unfortunately, the switch was not installed in the plinth when I got the car, and I was unable to locate it when I went through the boxes of parts that came with it. So, I ordered the replacement wiper switch (LU34317) offered by The Roadster Factory. Trouble is, that switch has 5 terminals (see pic) and I only have two wires to connect. Does anyone know which terminals the wires should be connected to? I can probably figure it out by trial and error (it's only ground, right?), but I hate doing that with electrical stuff. Also, I'm assuming that the the switch itself gets grounded through the dash?

I did do a search for this, but couldn't find anything that matched the exact issue I am having. If I missed something, please let me know.

Thanks,
Shaun

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20171118_184740.jpg    17.1 KB
20171118_184740.jpg

Hmm, I just went back through the stuff that came with the car, and did find the wiper switch. It's actually the same type as TRF sells, which can also be used for heater, etc. So, maybe I was incorrect in saying that this was aftermarket or generic. Or, possibly this one had already been replaced with a generic one sometime in the past. No way for me to know.

Looking at the switch that came with the car, I thought I might be able to tell what terminals were used by looking for evidence of connectors scraping as they were connected and disconnected. Unfortunately, four of the five terminals show such marks.

I'm currently testing with a meter, but haven't seen anything that makes sense, yet.

Cheers,
Shaun

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
That switch is a "universal" thing, used in lots of different applications (including the heater blower on Stags without A/C). The unused terminals are simply left open.

I'm not sure of the exact original wiring, but it should work if you connect pin 4 to ground (it's not grounded through the housing), pin 7 to R/LG (low speed) and pin 8 to N/LG (high speed). Worth noting perhaps that both wires get grounded for high speed operation.

EDIT: Oops, made a typo. Should be pin 7 & 8 as corrected above.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-18 10:42 PM by TR3driver.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Heater switch logic.JPG    10.8 KB
Heater switch logic.JPG

Thanks, Randall (again!). Knowing that terminal 4 had to be grounded was the magic. Probably should have been obvious, but I am still getting to know these cars.

However, I had to change the wiring a bit from what you had suggested, and the following ended up working properly:

4 Ground (need to see if I can find the ground that must be under the dash somewhere, intended for this purpose)
7 R/LG
8 N/LG

Nice to have functional wipers! Getting closer to getting a successful inspection completed. I just need to get the hi-beams working now...

Cheers,
Shaun

In reply to # 1498756 by TR3driver That switch is a "universal" thing, used in lots of different applications (including the heater blower on Stags without A/C). The unused terminals are simply left open.

I'm not sure of the exact original wiring, but it should work if you connect pin 4 to ground (it's not grounded through the housing), pin 7 to R/LG (low speed) and pin 8 to N/LG (high speed). Worth noting perhaps that both wires get grounded for high speed operation.

EDIT: Oops, made a typo. Should be pin 7 & 8 as corrected above.

Just saw your correction. Thanks!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links