AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Shifter
briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Kennewick, Washington, USA   USA
I pulled the shifter out of my A type overdrive transmission to check on the anti-rattle spring and plunger. If I understand the diagrams correctly, the spring and plunger fit into the hole on the end of the shifter. I purchased the Moss kit which came with five pieces, the spring and plunger, a large spring (1/2"winking smiley, O-ring, and a plastic bit. My first problem is that the plunger is larger than the hole on the shifter. Am I correct that the plunger should fit into the hole? The plunger is approximately 1/4" in diameter and the hole in the shifter is approximately 3/16" in diameter. And what are the other parts for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-18 05:05 PM by briarpatch.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
What part number did you get? The only "anti-rattle kit" I see on their website is for a Sprite/Midget (and shows 5 pieces as you describe).

Yes, the TR4 part should be only a small spring (Moss 329-420) and plunger (848-150)
https://mossmotors.com/plunger-anti-rattle?assoc=38739

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
I have looked at these parts but the plunger appears to be a quarter of an inch based on the photo where the hole in the shifter is onl 3/16”.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Just from memory, I think 3/16" is closer to correct. Entirely possible Moss is selling the wrong part; the ones I got from TRF did fit the holes.

Randall

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
you may consider making your own plunger with an extension to hold the spring in place. Very clever mod, not mine, but about to do it.

Attachments:
plunger.jpg    5.2 KB
plunger.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Maybe I'm confused; but ISTR the original plunger (and the repros I got from TRF) are hollow, so the spring fits partially inside them. That entire hole is not very deep, and the plunger only protrudes a tiny amount when installed.

Randall

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Interesting idea. What would you use to fabricate the plunger? I am still trying to figure out the function of the spring and plunger.

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1498803 by briarpatch I am still trying to figure out the function of the spring and plunger.
The business end of the shift lever is not a precision fit into the selector cups on the shift rails. There has to be some clearance, so it can move readily. But, vibration from the engine makes the shift lever tend to rattle around somewhat annoyingly. So, the idea of the spring and plunger is just to help keep it from rattling. Other than the rattle, everything else will work just fine without the spring & plunger.

There were various other attempts at dampening that rattle, including a TSB about sliding a section of rubber hose inside the big spring on top of the ball.

Randall

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
I believe you are correct. I am guessing that the plunger is pressed against the “wall” of the shifter assembly, helping to prevent rattles caused by vibration. My shifter is missing the plunger and spring as well as the anti-vibration “rod” that runs from the shifter ball to the body of the transmission, also helping to lessen any effects of vibration. Thanks to Marvin Gruber, I have the rod on its way. I have also ordered a new spring and plunger from The Roadster Factory and hoping they fit. It is fascinating to see this very small spring and plunger in a standard transmission.

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Yep. I got the wrong part. Guess I should have paid more attention.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster