Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Kennewick, Washington, USA   USA
I have been attempting to educate myself on the speedometer cable and angle drive set up on the TR4A with the overdrive transmission. I have read all the forum articles and come away a little confused. So I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the angle drive an inherently bad device, doomed to early failure? I opened up my angle drive and find that the shaft that goes into the transmission ends up going through a worm gear in the angle drive. It appears to be a pressed connection in the gear and this has broken loose in my angle drive. Hence, no speedometer.
2. According to Revington, the copper washer is not required with the Triumphs. True?
3. What is the screw on top of the angle drive for? Is this an adjustment?

Thanks to all for your help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 12:47 PM by briarpatch.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
I am wondering if it would be worth beveling the end of the area where the shaft meets the edge of the gear, and welding it in place?

Attachments:
DSC_0012.JPG    22.1 KB
DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG    20.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
This from Revington TR:

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Revington TR - SPEEDO ANGLE DRIVE G:BOX OE.pdf    612 KB

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
IMO its not necessarily a bad design; but it is the weak link. So it breaks first if there is any binding in the speedo head or cable.

I used an old inner cable to check how far the cable from the angle adapter could slide into the heat, and decided the washer was not necessary on my car. After replacing the speedo head (which was only slightly tight), I had no further trouble with the angle drive (on either Stag, not a TR4A)

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster