Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Kennewick, Washington, USA   USA
No sooner than we completed our restoration and made one good 400 mile cruise than the speedo quit working. Little did I know that the whole interior and tunnel cover has to come out in order to replace the cable. So today, I began the work.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC_0001.JPG    49.9 KB
DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG    47.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I believe that, on cars originally equipped with OD, there was a metal access panel that allows access without removing the tunnel. You might consider adding something while you're at it.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Attachments:
untitled.JPG    13.1 KB
untitled.JPG

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
or you may consider doing away with the angle drive and buy a longer speedo cable. Angles drives are inherently iffy and will break again. It will be a tight fit but it's possible. While you're at it you may want to replace the bracket exhaust pipe to GB for a thicker one as this one will break too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
Actually, I am installing one of the “split” tunnels. Either way, the seats have to be removed and the carpet pulled back but hopefully, the dash support can stay in place.

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
I like the idea of doing away with the angle adapter but, as you can see from the photo, it is a really tight fit where the adapter is. I am going to take a closer look to see if I can make it work. What is the “bracket to exhaust pipe GB”? Thanks for your suggestions.

Tommys4 Platinum Member Thomas G
Ojai, Calif., USA   USA
Hello
Many moons ago, my OD speedo cable failed all I had was a non OD speedo cable which is shorter. Being cheap I put the shorter cable in, inside the car under the
carpet.Worked fine for many years. Oh, no angle adapter, never had one.

TM German

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
In reply to # 1498186 by briarpatch What is the “bracket to exhaust pipe GB”? Thanks for your suggestions.

the bracket exhaust pipe-to-GB (to OD for that matter, the one just under the angle drive)

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
In reply to # 1498222 by Tommys4 Oh, no angle adapter, never had one.

TR4's don't have the angle drive

Tommys4 Platinum Member Thomas G
Ojai, Calif., USA   USA
Thanks Stef
You learn something new every day, even after 40yrs of ownership but only TR4s. Its fun to learn new things......................
Thanks again Stef

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Anyone care to comment on the "split" transmission tunnels I have seen offered on Ebay...? I am about to pull my one-piece tunnel and would like to replace it with the new design two-piece if they are worthy...Ryals

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498841 by tirnipgreen Anyone care to comment on the "split" transmission tunnels I have seen offered on Ebay...? I am about to pull my one-piece tunnel and would like to replace it with the new design two-piece if they are worthy...Ryals

This is the guy who makes them.
Rut
https://clarkandclarkinc.com/catalog/detail/two-piece-transmission-cover-for-tr4-4a-250-5-6

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
I bought one for my TR4A and so far it looks good. I haven't installed it yet but will be shortly. Then I will be able to discuss fit and function. There are a few items that must be accessed from above and that means pulling the carpet back at best. Will let you know shortly.

briarpatch Avatar
briarpatch Grant G
This is the one I bought. In looking at the photos, I am now worried about whether the dash support has to be removed in order to pull the back section. I also hadn't seen the comment about the switching the side cover from the old tunnel cover.

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
I think the split tunnel is a great idea.
Either buy the above or modify your existing tunnel into a 2 piece.

ghawk16 Gary H
Dublin, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498863 by malbaby I think the split tunnel is a great idea.
Either buy the above or modify your existing tunnel into a 2 piece.

Yeah...I'm thinking I'm going to modify mine into a two piece "just in case". I'll just use sound deadening to keep it together and if I ever need to get in I can just the deadening which is no biggie. That two piece is a good idea.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links