Churchill hub puller

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1499119 by Tonyfixit Once in a while they just won't seperate. In my experiance if they do not seperate with the churchhill tool the hub flange bends (in a press) or the axel is toast anyway.

Back in the UK I had a hydraulic version of the Churchill tool. It looked much the same, but a small diameter threaded screw pressed a small hydrulic piston onto a larger diameter piston the pressed on the axel.

It worked really well!

Please don't tempt me with ideas like that eye rolling smiley Hydraulic pullers like this are typically rated about 10 tons - their real virtue is the low torque needed to operate them. A mechanical screw puller can easily make double that. A lubricated 3/4-16 forcing screw will be producing a biscuit over 15T @ 320 lb-ft..

According to UPS the steel I ordered is on the truck for final delivery so with a little luck I should have something to actually test early next week. I checked the tap cabinet and I have 7/8-14 and 1-12 if the 3/4" screw isn't up to the job......

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-21 06:19 AM by oldhokie.

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
titanic Berry P
Albany, Oregon, USA   USA
Here is a puller that I think is pretty ingenious as it uses the threads on the hub- http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?107877-A-simple-solution-for-separating-axle-and-hub&p=1035505&viewfull=1#post1035505
If I still had a solid axle car, I would make one.
Berry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-21 11:37 AM by titanic.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
UPS was good to their word and I got the steel about 3PM today. Chucked it up and roughed out the external profile. Took about 2 hours to peel that thing down.
If time permits the rest of it tomorrow - less material to remove and should go a bit faster. Then I can put it to the test smileys with beer

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
That is not something I would want to drop on my foot ;-)

Lovely workthumbs up

In reply to # 1499243 by Tonyfixit That is not something I would want to drop on my foot ;-)

Lovely workthumbs up

Thank you!! It started out at 23# and 15# of that has been turned into little blue chips. I'll still make sure to have my steel toes on. ;-)

Dan

Member Services:
I love it when a plan comes together. Finished the inner profile this AM and strapped the puller on to my TR4 axle as soon as UPS delivered the bolts. Totally anti-climactic - one good zip from the impact wrench and the hub pulled right off. Didn't even need a wrench to keep it from turning. Maybe this was an easy one but it was a simple 5 minute job and the hub is still straight and true.

I was actually expecting it to fail - I accidentally drilled the center hole a little too deep in preparation for boring and only had enough thickness left in the cap for about 1/2" of threads. Turns out it wasn't an issue but I will work on fixing that "just in case".

Dan

Member Services:
Tommys4 Platinum Member Thomas G
Ojai, Calif., USA   USA
Dan
Nicely done, how much?

TM German

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bteichgraber Avatar
bteichgraber Brian Teichgraber
Tsawwassen, BC, Canada   CAN
Nice work as usual

Milpitas, California, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Merlin"
Any more news??
Just curious if you will be making some more for sale.
DR

In reply to # 1501028 by Merlin63Tr4 Any more news??
Just curious if you will be making some more for sale.
DR

Thanks for asking,

I'm putting the finishing touches on the first one and it should be ready to go in the mail as a rental to Brian on Monday. I'll post a picture or two of the final product before it goes out the door. Assuming it survives and returns home it will be available as a rental spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Once the prototype gets a little more exercise and I am satisfied everything works OK I will make additonal ones available for sale. At a minimum one more for my tool chest smileys with beer

Dan

Member Services:
Sounds like a great plan.
I do hope you make these available for sale.
Please keep us appraised on progress and price of this tool.

DR

In reply to # 1501071 by Merlin63Tr4 Sounds like a great plan.
I do hope you make these available for sale.
Please keep us appraised on progress and price of this tool.

DR

Here is the latest - UPDATED. As I said earlier the thread engagement in the hat was a bit too short for comfort so I added a threaded extension that is pressed into the hat. I also milled a 1" hex on it so you can use a box/open end wrench as a torque arm. It is replacebale should the threads ever get roached. I also added a rotating pilot with angled tip that matches the countersinck in the end of the axle.to the end of the forcing screw. I have completed eveerything and it is ready to go to Brian. Starting to look like real product.

As far as making them for sale - all I need is enough interest to make it cost/time effective. With the amount of work involved and the cost of raw materials you are looking a ~$100 price tag.

Dan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 05:42 PM by oldhokie.

Member Services:
Previous post updated with new pictures.

Dan

Member Services:
Dan,
That looks like a quality piece of work!
With the right promotion/word of mouth I'm pretty sure you will have some takers at this forum.
Have you determined how many units would be an economical lot to produce?
The ~$100/per unit price point is attractive considering the cost of having your axles shipped cross country to have the work done....

DR

In reply to # 1501181 by Merlin63Tr4 Dan,
That looks like a quality piece of work!
With the right promotion/word of mouth I'm pretty sure you will have some takers at this forum.
Have you determined how many units would be an economical lot to produce?
The ~$100/per unit price point is attractive considering the cost of having your axles shipped cross country to have the work done....

DR

I probably need at least 3-4 buyers to cover the up front cost of the steel. My metal service center sells 5.75" CR1018 round bar in 20' lengths (1767 pounds). That's way more than I could ever use and at $1+ a pound you do the math ;-) I don't know what their minimum (if any) cut length on that size bar would be. I buy 1/2 bars of 3.5" and 4.25" bar on a regular basis so when I place my next order (real soon) I'll ask what they can do on the larger bar. If they will do a 1/4 or smaller length it wouldn't be a big up front investment and I will add it to my regular order. I hate selling on eBay but push come to shove and no-one here wants them it does reach a bigger audience...

Dan

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster