AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
Dan-

No rush but consider me applying as guinea pig! I have two axles ready to test.

Randy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512356 by Britnut Dan-

Randy

Tag - you are it. No promises but I'll try to get one made this weekend.

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Great! Sent you a PM with my info.

Thanks!
Randy

bteichgraber Avatar
bteichgraber Brian Teichgraber
Tsawwassen, BC, Canada   CAN
I still have the first prototype I can send you. I had intended to send it back to dan. All it needs is new nuts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
In reply to # 1512377 by bteichgraber I still have the first prototype I can send you. I had intended to send it back to dan. All it needs is new nuts.

What ever you want to do Brian but I was planning on adding countersinks for the nuts so it would work on the shorter studs.

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
In reply to # 1512356 by Britnut Dan-

Randy

Her ya go piggy. I told you it never hurts to rattle my cage spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I need to get a forcing screw and then it will be ready for testing. That 1-7/8-8 internal thread went easier than I expected and fits like a glove.

Dan

Member Services:
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
In reply to # 1512450 by oldhokie
Her ya go piggy. I told you it never hurts to rattle my cage spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Oink Oink! - very slick looking - I sent you my contact info and can report back to the group how it works.

Cheers
Randy

SlimJim Jim M
Bunker Hill, WV, USA   USA
Hi, new to this subject but have hub problems on a 72 spitfire. I would like to buy an appropriate puller. Located north of Winchester. Could pick it up.

In reply to # 1512529 by SlimJim Hi, new to this subject but have hub problems on a 72 spitfire. I would like to buy an appropriate puller. Located north of Winchester. Could pick it up.

Exactly what I have been looking for - another guinea pig with a different car thumbs up I'll need the dimensions for the Spitfire hub. I'm retired and home most days - if you are up this way visitors are always welcome. Give me a call or drop me an email.

Dan

Email: oldhokie@windyridgefarm.us
Cell: 301.655.06231

Member Services:
SlimJim Jim M
Bunker Hill, WV, USA   USA
Great to hear from you so soon. I have attached 2 photos and a rough drawing of the hub. Thanks.

Attachments:
20180210_113449.jpg    25.2 KB
20180210_113449.jpg

20180210_113434.jpg    23.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180210_113252.jpg    24 KB
In reply to # 1512556 by SlimJim Great to hear from you so soon. I have attached 2 photos and a rough drawing of the hub. Thanks.

Looks good but I need to know a few more dimensions:

1. The distance from the face of the flange to the end of the axle.
  2. Diameter of the lug bolts
  3. Diameter and height of the shoulder at the base of the bolts

Are you good with a Spitfire specific puller like the one below or would you like a more "universal" design that will work on other models (e.g. TR's).

Dan

Member Services:
ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
Jim, CTR members Join can borrow a puller for Spitfires.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Here is my Spitfire/Herald hub puller.

The extra holes are for pulling ride on lawnmower wheels (check out You Tube, they can be a real bugger)

The depth measurement is to the captive nut.

Stock Spitfire studs are 3/8", my puller holes are oversize.

Attachments:
20180210_104134.jpg    24.6 KB
20180210_104134.jpg

20180210_142609.jpg    21.2 KB
20180210_142707.jpg    26.3 KB
Had a chance to do a little more experimenting. This is M86A V2.0. It's made as two pieces which are then pressed together to make the complete puller. That means less metal to remove and cheaper to make. When I started on it my intention was to make it "universal" - i.e. it would work on Spitfires in addition to TR's. Unfortunately the geometry is really messy and I would be pushing by luck if I were to try and add holes for the smaller bolt circle. The holes themselves are not the problem - it's clearance for the nuts. It is not impossible but it probably won't be "pretty. Does anybody think it would be worthwhile as opposed to simply making a Spitfire specific version? I could go with a thicker flange which would solve most of the geometry problems but that would add $20 to the cost.

Dan

PS> What was the Churchill number for the Spitfire tool?

Member Services:
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1513024 by oldhokie PS> What was the Churchill number for the Spitfire tool?

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links