Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bteichgraber Avatar
bteichgraber Brian Teichgraber
Tsawwassen, BC, Canada   CAN
I recently acquired a rebuilt rearend from a wrecked car.
After having a better look at it today I have some concern.

In one of the pictures I have a gap A & B, A is a bit larger then B, looking as if the shaft housing is not parallel to the other side.
In the other picture C & D the line on the housing is further out then A & B side.

In the other picture (s) the stud looks have been heated removed and a weld put on the stud head on the backside of the flange, there is also a noticeable warp.

When rotating the axle there is a noticeable spot of resistance not much but it is there.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2ED902C1-FF73-4DA3-BFD8-9316EAA4A9B6.jpeg    49.3 KB
2ED902C1-FF73-4DA3-BFD8-9316EAA4A9B6.jpeg

783B16B5-C75F-41B9-8A7B-8B460D643AE1.jpeg    41.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
FE8473BC-D61A-4227-B25E-A7B97A2C2A61.jpeg    53 KB
D9EF41E8-A527-4F8A-8CEC-9C8AD13E7E11.jpeg    39.2 KB
bteichgraber Avatar
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Looks pretty bad to me; I wouldn't bother installing it unless you have no other option. In addition to the problems you've mentioned, the runout on the pinion flange says to me that it was probably damaged in the accident.

Just as a point of reference, the differential this came out of just had a kind of rough spot, not even tight really. It was sold to me as having been freshly rebuilt ...

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497792 by TR3driver Looks pretty bad to me; I wouldn't bother installing it unless you have no other option. In addition to the problems you've mentioned, the runout on the pinion flange says to me that it was probably damaged in the accident.

Just as a point of reference, the differential this came out of just had a kind of rough spot, not even tight really. It was sold to me as having been freshly rebuilt ...

I have been trading in used cars/machinery for almost half a century and I've learned a few things in the process - some the hard way. If you are a stranger trying to sell me machinery the quickest way to sour the deal is to tell me you just rebuilt it or had it rebuilt....

TOH

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Brian,
That looks pretty bad to me and I hope you can return it.
Good luck, Rut

bteichgraber Avatar
I should say that the rearend was rebuilt prior to the accident and I bought it knowing it was in an accident, I’m hoping to rebuild it but more so I’m wondering if the axle housings are true and straight .
If all else fails I can use the mounts - cut them off and use them on a Dutchman 8” rear as per my original plan.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Brian,
Check out a heavy truck suspension/spring shop, they might be able to evaluate and straighten it. I used a local truck driveline shop to work on my Bugeye drive shaft and it was an easy fix for them.
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster