AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Surrey Top Frame Fitment
  This topic is about my 1964 Triumph TR4
rod-h Avatar
rod-h Silver Member Rodney Hamilton
Lago Vista, Tx, USA   USA
I'm installing the surrey soft top for the first time, I've had the hard top on, but, never the soft top.

Where does the frame connect in the backlight? The crossbar piece fits into the backlight, but, how does it attach into the soft top?

Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks guys,

Rod

The older I get the more cynical I become, but, I can't keep up.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
The Front of the frame has two pegs at right angles to the folding rods. There are rubber inserts that fit into the holes on top of the windshield header. The other two folding rods have threaded ends with spacing nuts (nyloc) which slide into the holes on the front edge of the backlight frame. The rubber weatherstrip kind of covers the holes, but they are there, just outboard from the holes where the hardtop bolts go through the backlight frame. Adjust the nyloc nuts so the the soft top is snug...Hope that helps....Ryals

rod-h Avatar
Thanks that helps. My fiberglass backlight does not have the holes.

A measurement or picture would be really helpful.

Thanks again.

Rod

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Robert4619 Avatar
Robert4619 Robert Garnett
Saint John, N B, Canada   CAN
Hi Rodney,these holes are on the inside edge of the back light.They are about 1" to the outside of the holes on the top edge where you attach the hard top.You should be able to open the frame and attach it to the front window header and set the rear of the frame on the back light and mark the location of these holes.The threaded ends just slide into these holes and you adjust the nuts to create a snug fit which should allow you to install and remove the frame without need to adjust each time.Hope this helps.Bob

jflinney Avatar
jflinney John Linney
Saratoga, CA, USA   USA
My top had one of the holes drilled and the other one not. Here’s a photo showing the positioning with a ruler. It’s about 1.25” outboard of the top hole. I strongly advise epoxying a steel washer to strengthen the opening.

Attachments:
CA6B53F2-4537-4A7B-9579-4E36242B23B1.jpeg    37.4 KB
CA6B53F2-4537-4A7B-9579-4E36242B23B1.jpeg

rod-h Avatar
Thanks for the picture. I was thinking reinforcement of that area might be a good idea. You confirmed that.

Thanks again.

Rod

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster