AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
Tuckasegee, North Carolina, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Trouble"
1967 Triumph TR4A
I have purchased an aftermarket Parrish fiberglass hardtop. Hopefully photo attached. Does anyone have ideas or knowledge of how to remove old paint? The stuff I use on the metal of the car is not recommended for fiberglass. Really appreciate any advise and or suggestions. Hope the week is going well for all.
Thanks Randy in the boonies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 03:28 PM by TR4EVER.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
19243929_1869685189711765_2139633129_o.jpg    49.7 KB
19243929_1869685189711765_2139633129_o.jpg

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
I assume the Corvette boys and boaters have their favorites that google would reveal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 01:23 PM by ducbsa.

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
1967 Triumph TR4A
Thanks, that is probably next step, just touching base with other TR guys who might have the Parrish/Smoothline tops. Thanks again as always you can depend on TR guys for help. Thanks Randy in the boonies of western North Carolina

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Guillaume Avatar
Jim Guillaume James Guillaume
Farmington, Maine, USA   USA
If the old paint is not flaking or cracking, why risk damaging the fiberglass? A very careful sanding then seal with epoxy primer should stabilize the old paint from reacting with new paint. The old paint, if in good shape doesn’t hurt anything and is s known substrate to paint over.

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
1967 Triumph TR4A
Hi thanks for input. Unfortunately, (can't see in photo) there is a large area completely gone and numerous of little bubbles. Probably have to do complete sand down but trying to find easy way to get what is there off. (LAZY WAY) Thanks so much. Randy in the boonies

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
DOT3......just kidding!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
1967 Triumph TR4A
Good one, but I guess it would work or at least start something. Thanks have a great evening. Randy in the boonies

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
Remove window....Careful sanding with air powered 6" orbital palm sander,preferably with soft intermediate pad attached between sander and sandpaper disc, finishing edges by hand.....clean.... and then spray 2 pack primer-filler.....more careful sanding etc.

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
1967 Triumph TR4A
Many thanks Malcom, sounds like the proper procedure, but I was looking for easy way. Lazy is part of being retired. Just kidding thanks for step by step that does help and is great guideline.
Randy in the boonies

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I had a Bond Equip that I had re-painted, I did the prep.
I was told to sand down the paint smooth and feather out any edges where the old paint was missing or had blistered. I was told to ease up the edges of the rubber window seals and work a wire or cord inbehind, so as to be able to sand and paint behind the rubber.
I had some cracks in the gell coat of the fibreglass that had to be cut out 'V' shaped and filled.
The whole car was then given an etch primer before regular car paint was used as a top coat.

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
1967 Triumph TR4A
Thanks Tony

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster