AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tomster Avatar
tomster Tom Dunbar
Annapolis, Maryland, USA   USA
Hi All,

I've had my TR4 for only a few days and am learning as I go.

Today, I checked the oil and it looked like it was barely touching the end of the stick.
I ran up and bought two quarts of Valvoline 20w50 oil and gradually poured it in while
checking the stick meticulously. Afterwards I ran the car around the block and freaked
out as the oil pressure gauge was hitting 90! I did not drive far. I did some research and
found out about adjusting the oil pressure relief valve. So I turned that sucker about 7
revolutions and the pressure is now around 55.

I'm planning on adjusting it again tomorrow to his the 65 - 75 mark at 2,000 RPMS.

Hope I know what the hell I'm doing and have not caused any damage?

Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Probably not, higher pressure can cause premature wear only after a protracted period of time. The oil level on the stick should be half way between the 2 marks. It will run happily at 55 hot, no need to adjust.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Tom,

Just in case the gauge is wrong, I'd adjust back up to showing the proper 70 psi. Maybe the 90 psi was 70? Nothing you've done will hurt the engine. But I would feel better if your gauge was showing 70 psi when driving. It will drop down at idle to around 55 or so.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tomster Avatar
tomster Tom Dunbar
Thanks for the replies.

Actually before I added the two quarts the oil gauge looked to be hitting the right numbers which is kinda
what bothered me as it changed so drastically. But running what appeared to be two quarts low seems
even more crazy.

But I think I can get it adjusted again.

The lock nut was seized to the adjusting screw, but a little WD-40 and elbow grease took care of that.
Also the lock nut looked kinda stressed or like it had a washer (or flange?) on it. Not sure that would be correct.

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496333 by tomster
Also the lock nut looked kinda stressed or like it had a washer (or flange?) on it. Not sure that would be correct.

Have you looked at this?

tomster Avatar
tomster Tom Dunbar
Thanks Bruce! I have looked at that as it's in the service manual which came with my car.
That lock nut doesn't appear to be available via moss but I think I'm OK using the current one.

Just looks 55 years old! ;-)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster