AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR 4. Fuel Tank
  This topic is about my 1962 Triumph TR4
edick Silver Member eddie Dick
Austin, Texas, USA   USA
Have 62 tr 4 running after sitting for 25 years. Had fuel tank cleaned after draining 8 gallons of 25 year old gas. Still getting trash etc out of tank. Have just removed tank again and am trying to decide on what to do. Clean again and coat with something or buy new tank. If I buy New tank does anyone have a suggestion on which one is best from the major suppliers. Thanks for your help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
For originality, EvapoRust then POR-15 for your tank if the leaks are minimal for repair. Moss and the others have steel tanks that should be just fine and Rimmer has an aluminum tank for $465 delivered to Virginia.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I've heard too many horror stories of modern fuel pulling the coatings off of the inside of the tank. I'd find either a local good used tank of bite the bullet and buy a new tank. Personally, I've gotten away with just flushing my tanks. My 2000 sat 18 years off the road, and 14 of those not running. 3 years ago I pulled the tank and had it flushed. No issues since. Kyle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I had a '58 VW beetle that had an old nasty tank with some pin holes. I flushed it, coated it, painted the outside and never had a problem in ten years. It is hard to get all the gunk out, so it depends on how bad it is.

edick Silver Member eddie Dick
Austin, Texas, USA   USA
Thanks, no leaks at all. Had it flushed just getting a black particulate in bowl and tank was stopped up once.

BL50 Avatar
BL50 Silver Member Brian Leslie
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA   USA
What do you flush an old tank with? Mine has been sitting on a basement shelf for 35-years ... still looks good and I'm planning on reinstalling it as soon as my body comes back from the painter.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
It's only when old gas has been sitting in a car for years. It turns to a very thick jelly and will clog fuel filers, fuel lines and settle at the bottom. Usually you have to replace fuel lines because they are impossible to clear and clean. If your tank was dry when you stored it, you are probably fine unless the inside rusted.

BL50 Avatar
BL50 Silver Member Brian Leslie
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA   USA
That's what I figured ... thanks Marcus.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I've had the local radiator shop flush 2 of mine. Bad fuel on the first, the second was concerned with glass beads in the tank and it had been sitting inside for several years. Kind of a cya situation. Kyle

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
This may sound strange but make a stand out of cinder blocks that will hold your tank up about 2 ft then fill it with water and build a fire under it and let it boil. While boiling keep it full of water, boil around 30 minutes. You will be surprised, I've done this many times.

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496163 by James E This may sound strange but make a stand out of cinder blocks that will hold your tank up about 2 ft then fill it with water and build a fire under it and let it boil. While boiling keep it full of water, boil around 30 minutes. You will be surprised, I've done this many times.

Make sure you do this out of sight of the road so no one "misinterprets".

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg    60.9 KB
Untitled.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster