replacing transmission

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jwade David B
Stony Point, NC, USA   USA
I am currently replacing a transmission in my tr4 with a correct 4 speed for a TR4, it had a TR6 transmission in it that had problems. When I pulled it out I found out that it had a diaphragm clutch so the clutch is incorrect also.
I have a spare engine with the correct flywheel and pressure plate on it. I understand that in order to change the pressure plate I need to change the flywheel. Is this correct? Should I change out the flywheel and pressure plate ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Normally yes. The later (TR4A onwards) diaphragm clutch takes a different bolt circle than the earlier "finger" clutch. But it is possible that someone had the earlier flywheel redrilled to accept the later clutch; meaning the holes would still be there for the earlier one.

Either setup works well enough, IMO. I had a 4A style clutch in my former TR3A for about 50,000 miles and it worked fine. Showed no significant wear, so I moved it to the current TR3 without even changing the friction plate; where it's done probably another 50k or so with no problem. The 4A clutch is slightly lighter and smaller as well, so it gives just a bit better performance in lower gears.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
If you have the complete setup for a 4A I would keep it for the reason explained above + you won't have any problem to find the spares

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links