AutoShrine Sponsor

TR4 Steel Wheel Color
  This topic is about my 1963 Triumph TR4
tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
I have a 1963 TR4 that was imported to the US from the UK. It originally had steel wheels and I have pictures of the car when it was new. It has off-white steel wheels with hub caps. I want to paint the original wheels and replace the rusty chrome wire wheels with the original. I would like to paint the steel wheels the original cream color, but do not know the paint code. Any suggestions...? Thanks, Ryals Cheek - Ellijay, GA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Ryals

When I did the steel wheels on the Tr6, used Ford Argent Silver. As close to original as you can get.

Red

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
It was the same white they used on the cars, either old English white or new White I think. Kyle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Ryals,
Another problem you are going to run into is the short studs from the wire wheels. They use a small lug nut. Steel wheels use a big 7/8" size lug nut and longer stud bolts. Yours were probably cut off shorter when the aftermarket chrome wires were installed. Steel wheels will fit with the small lig nuts from the wire wheels but I don't suggest driving the car very hard or fast. As far as wheel color goes, old English white will get you close.
Marv

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Kyle - Marv

I am a little confused. The 1962 Tr4 i had in my youth came with silver wheels as well as the 1963 that I am currently working on. Were the home market cars painted with a different color?

Thanks Red

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Red,
Seen them both ways. Some early 4s had white wheels or body color. Most were silver which I like better.
Marv

volleyball Ray C
Albany, NY, USA   USA
My 65 came from factory with white wheels

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
I just bought the white car. It was built in 1964, but registered as a 1965. It also has white wheels...I am not one to deviate from factory treatments...would really like to figure this one out. Volleyball, you know that your car's wheels were white from the factory....? Thanks, Ryals

volleyball Ray C
Albany, NY, USA   USA
I've had my 65 which is a 64 built since 76. Thr guy I bought it from bought it from the original who painted the white wheels black when he painted the car 69 pontiac midnight green

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster