Another TR 4A hood cable problem

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nicodiaz Roberto Diaz
Oceanside, CA, USA   USA
It finally happened to my left steering TR, the hood does not open. No matter how I hard I pull the hood release knob it slides out up to 3.5 inches, although it never before slid out more than one inch when operating properly. Perhaps the cable is still attached to the hood release lever or the cable jacket prevents it from sliding out fully?. Besides my looking for ideas I like knowing the horizontal position of the hood engagement lock in reference to the right wiper mechanism; my not so clear isometric pictures shows it located towards the driver side but can not tell how far...1 or 2 inches? I will continue to tap (..etc ) the hood just in case , but I am also considering drilling the bulkhead for lock lever access. Yes, I have investigated numerous answers to the cable problem. Sorry about the long description.

1966 TR 4a Irs
Oceanside, Ca

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Attached is my home-made bonnet release handle. From under the dash push the grommet located under the bonnet latch bracket out of the way, insert the handle with the hook oriented upwards, catch the bonnet release lever with the hook from underneath and pull the handle to release the bonnet springy pin. The bent in the rod does matter. After, you may either get an emergency bonnet release off eBay (hole in the bulkhead required) or make your own with a cable tied to the release lever and passing through the above mentioned grommet (no hole required).

Attachments:
bonnet release.jpg    20 KB
bonnet release.jpg

nicodiaz Roberto Diaz
Oceanside, CA, USA   USA
GEKO,

Dimensions and angles are important. Did I miss something in your sketch? If you have dimensions and angles please share.
I have seen an 18 inch rod with two 90% degree bends, each bend in opposite direction and each measuring 6 inch by 6 in. by 6 in. It is intended to be inserted thru the bulkhead to actuate or rotate the unlock lever , that is to pivot, same action as the bonnet cable does when pulling. It this a similar?

Robert

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nicodiaz Roberto Diaz
Oceanside, CA, USA   USA
Folks,
Ignore my requests for the information above .
I just opened the hood as recommended in BuckeyeTriumph.org.. and others, after trying the homemade tool for 60 seconds... pure luck for sure!!. The glove box and the passenger side windshield
ventilation hose were removed for working space. The recommended tool was made from 1/4 in.steel rod, 18 inch long, with 2 - 90 degree bends, each 6 in. from each rod end , but in opposite direction, almost like letter Z.

1966 TR4A IRS
Oceanside, Ca

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
Good news, now make/buy one of these and install it: kit

Attachments:
Hood Release.jpg    53.7 KB
Hood Release.jpg

nicodiaz Roberto Diaz
Oceanside, CA, USA   USA
Ducbsa,

Thank you. Yes, definitely. That is my plan.

nicodiaz Roberto Diaz
Oceanside, CA, USA   USA
Ducbsa,

It is now completed although my cut up plate is not professional in appearance.
Using a 3.5 in. door hinge I cut it up to approximately resemble your sketch, while retaining the center hole and one end hole. The metal hinge was trimmed , re-trimmed and re-filed so the middle hole would match existing hole in the hood release base and the rotating motion of the arm would slide the hood release. The end hole connects the tripping wire hanging thru a drilled hole into the cabin. A longer arm pivot for the gadget mount , as yours , would have been better but, my way I reused existing mounting holes although it perhaps requires more pulling force than yours. Yes, mounting bolt, lock nut and washers are necessary to keep pieces aligned.

nicodiaz Roberto Diaz
Oceanside, CA, USA   USA
I tried to post a picture of my emergency hood release device .
First time,will it work?

Attachments:
DSCN0882_-_COPY[1].JPG    33.7 KB
DSCN0882_-_COPY[1].JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster