Oil Leaking from head of TR4A motor.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

USScot Richard L
Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA   USA
I have a persistent oil leak on the head of my TR4A motor. I have replaced valve cover gasket (cork then silicone) and put on an alloy v cover (the original was warped), but still have leak on the spark plug side. It seems to occur after the motor has run then cooled down, with it building up as car sits. I have used talc, and fluorescent dye to identify area and the oil appears as a sheen around the plugs and push rod tubes. Could the oil be coming from the pushrod tubes and if so what is the solution. I have not heard of these being replaced.
The attached picture was taken before I replaced cover and used silicone gasket but is the same after replacing.

Richard

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TR4a Head.jpg    55.1 KB
TR4a Head.jpg

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
The emission control on later TR4 engines didn't allow for much blowby. Internal pressure has a tendency to push oil out anywhere it can. Make sure your breather is clear. Sometimes they accumulate wet oil sludge. Oil really shouldn't be at a level where it flows over the cylinder head lip - it should drain back to the sump. You might try running the engine with the valve cover removed and observe if oil is indeed pooling.
You might consider an earlier valve cover with a breather oil fill cap in addition to the PVC return.
You might also try applying a gasket with permatex seal to the cylinder head instead of to the valve cover. That will allow oil to pool a little higher before spilling over.

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
Ive seen this on cars with external oil feed lines, just too much oil going to the head.Could also be a cracked head, hope it's something simple.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Coming from the pushrods tubes indeed, a very common source of leakage. The main reason is that the tubes are made of aluminum and the head from cast iron so having different coefficient of thermal expansion + vibrations+ blow-by pressure. There's not much to do to prevent it: Remove ANY oil from the base and top of the tube and apply some Permatex sealant (also on top of the head). Does it work? Sort of, if your engine breaths properly as suggested above.

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
See pushrod tube note: "Swage ends in head and seal with blue Loctite." @ Moss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 01:14 PM by ducbsa.

USScot Richard L
Thanks all for feedback but just to clarify. Even though the picture is showing the old valve cover, the same is occurring with the new alloy one using a silicone gasket. Also the “athletes powder dusting test” would suggest the oil is not coming from the valve cover seal as there is no oil stain there. Thoughts?

USScot Richard L
Stef, when you say permatex sealant which of their products are you referring to.
Also found the below link that addresses this q inc the suggestions already made

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/2trSite/Net_pushRodLeaks.htm

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
Not sure the one i used was Permatex, but it was a red high-temp gasket forming sealant. You may try Loctite too as per the note #3

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
A lot of interesting articles there: Triumph

In reply to # 1491304 by USScot Stef, when you say permatex sealant which of their products are you referring to.
Also found the below link that addresses this q inc the suggestions already made

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/2trSite/Net_pushRodLeaks.htm

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Richard, there is likely a late TR4a cylinder head on Portland Craigslist located in cathlamet Washington. He states the engine is from a TR3, but I question that. Mostly because it has the bump in the head showing it’s at least a TR4 head, but the engine number is ct66xxx which is a late engine. My Tr4 is somewhere in the 30xxx range. Another tell is the valve cover, oil filler cap, and lack of breather tube. IMO at $750 he is asking too much for the area though. Kyle.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links