AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

princetn1 Avatar
princetn1 Gold Member Mike Ruckman
Tampa, Florida, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
Better than NOS and complete with a new, never used Lucas canter horn push.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR4a-Steering-Wheel-OEM-/202076665445

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.

Attachments:
IMG_7917.JPG    76.5 KB
IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG    44.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_7919.JPG    40.2 KB
IMG_7922.JPG    47.4 KB
Savannah dog Gold Member Julian Carter
Lincolnton, Georgia, USA   USA
For $600.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
princetn1 Avatar
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
In reply to # 1491397 by Savannah dog For $600.

Is that a question/offer or a statement?

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 1491397 by Savannah dog For $600.

I’ve restored a couple, comparable to this one, but honestly Mike probably has done a better job overall then me, this is from his sheer experience from volume. The base wheel to restore is almost $100 anymore, then add $25 for shipping. Materials are limited to (in my experience) cutting discs for dremel, sand paper, epoxy, files, primer, and paint. Honestly I have some of the supplies but probably an easy $50 in materials, some will be left over (sand paper). Then there is the filing, sanding, and grinding of the epoxy, then reapplying epoxy to build up low spots, and repeating said filing, grinding, and sanding. Then prime and sand, prime and sand, prime and sand, top coat, sand, top coat and sand (this is where I get a slight blemish and give up like a run). I’d estimate I have somewhere around 8-10 hours just in the grinding and sanding over many months to accomplish it. Then there is the matter of the horn push. Aftermarket are $36.99, but that’s an NOS one, so it’s worth more in my opinion. Trust me, Mikes not getting rich restoring steering wheels. I’ve got 3 in the works to restore for myself and I haven’t brought myself to work on them in 2 years. I attached a dark picture of the wheel I restored for myself, it’s more work than one would expect. Kyle.

Attachments:
FF4102C1-9366-4081-9CD5-14AED0E51109.jpeg    34 KB
FF4102C1-9366-4081-9CD5-14AED0E51109.jpeg

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
I’ve ‘restored’ a few of these and to do it right is exactly how Kyle described it. Mine look good, but Mikes is exceptionally well done...color me green!
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fmalowany Frank Malowany
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA   USA
Mike,
I met you at a car show a year a go or so and have lost your phone number. I am in St. Petersburg and am thinking of buying a TR4 with a wheel that needs refinishing.

princetn1 Avatar
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
Frank,
I don’t know if you made it to Safety Harbor yesterday but I was there. I’m happy to help either a) sell you the one I have (with the NOS horn) or b) restore yours if you get it. TR4’s are really cool so let me know.

Member Services:
fmalowany Frank Malowany
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA   USA
I was at Mirror Lake, Lakeland and could not make Safety Harbor. What is you phone number?

princetn1 Avatar
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
Frank,
You can reach me via cel (call or text) at 813-313-7343 or at ruckmn1@yahoo.com.

Member Services:
marshgrassA Avatar
marshgrassA Irene B
South Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "little Car"
1967 Triumph TR4A "Little Bad Boy"
Mike.....I have a TR4A that I's like to get an original wheel for. Does the TR4 fit and would the center piece be a different style on a 4A?

princetn1 Avatar
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
Irene,
I really think the TR4 and TR4a wheels are the exact same, both in spline count, hole size, and Center horn emblem. But I’m only 95% sure. I’d suggest asking the question under a separate (new) thread so we’re 100% certain.
If confirmed, the one I have turned out better than any I’ve done and has a new, never used horn button for the perfect TR4a!!

Member Services:
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
They are the same wheel and center. If you needed more leg room there is a spitfire wheel that’s very similar, but it’s got a deeper dish and it’s an inch smaller. Hope this helps! Kyle.

princetn1 Avatar
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
Thanks, Kyle. As always, your expertise is greatly appreciated.

Member Services:
marshgrassA Avatar
marshgrassA Irene B
South Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "little Car"
1967 Triumph TR4A "Little Bad Boy"
Thanks guys. I'll try to get confirmation from my local TR guru.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster