TR4A overdrive on/off

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rsanford Raleigh Sanford
Millington, Tennessee, USA   USA
Hello all. I have searched about the above and seen conflicting answers. My car is a 1966 TR4A non IRS sold originally here in the US so nothing weird going on. The OD lever is on the left. Is on up or down? Thanks a lot. My month restoration is "complete" except for about a hundred "little" things I need to address. Complete enough that this past Saturday, I drove it across and up the street about a hundred yards to the local county fair/car show and won the People's Choice Award out of 50+ entries. Photos and more on that hopefully later today. Raleigh.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Every TR I've owned, you flip in down to engage overdrive. Up to you really

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Raleigh,
Glad you made it to show. Overdrive sw, you pull the arm down to engage. Post a picture!
Marv

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1489504 by rsanford Hello all. I have searched about the above and seen conflicting answers.
This may be part of the confusion. From the TR4A Owner's Handbook, 2nd edition (same as 1st edition)

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Attachments:
OD control location.JPG    17 KB
OD control location.JPG

titanic Berry P
Albany, Oregon, USA   USA
That always confused my too, until I read (can't remember the source) that the instructions came from a manual for a RHD car. Maybe the switch is flipped over for LHD cars?
Berry

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1489724 by titanic That always confused my too, until I read (can't remember the source) that the instructions came from a manual for a RHD car. Maybe the switch is flipped over for LHD cars?
Berry
Certainly a possibility, but there doesn't seem to be any indication it's for a RHD car. The cover photo and most photos inside are of LHD.

Also, the switch is different between RHD and LHD (139793 vs 139794).

Randall

titanic Berry P
Good point, Randall. I didn't realize that there were 2 switches. My TR6 owners manual also shows a LHD car and instructs to "Move lever up to engage the OD". So, is the instruction correct for RHD cars?
Berry

2ndC Silver Member Steve N
Lee's Summit, Mo, USA   USA
I have a '66 TR4A/IRS and the switch is down to engage the od.

Steve N.

oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1489637 by TR3driver
In reply to # 1489504 by rsanford Hello all. I have searched about the above and seen conflicting answers.
This may be part of the confusion. From the TR4A Owner's Handbook, 2nd edition (same as 1st edition)

I wrote technical pubs for a living and I had to carefully parse that paragraph from the owner's manual several times spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I have owned 4 left hand drive OD cars including one TR6 that I am certain was 100% factory original. In all cases the OD switch was mounted on the right (passenger) side of the steering column and overdrive was engaged by moving the lever downwards.

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
titanic Berry P
I still think it might be a glitch in the manual. Even though the illustration pictures a LHD car, the instruction is for a RHD. Anybody have RHD with OD?
Berry

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1490199 by titanic I still think it might be a glitch in the manual.
I didn't mean to suggest it was anything else.

Randall

IrishGT Ed Boylan
Hingham, Massachusetts, USA   USA
For what it's worth...1 have a 1965 TR4 (LHD) with a TRA OD box in it. The switch (on right side of column) is UP to engage and DOWN to disengage. The box was installed by a very competent British car guy who's done nothing but Brit stuff since mid-60s.

Irish GT

Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA   USA
Have had two original TR4 overdrive cars, which had the switch on the right or passengers side - both were down to engage. Note the switch is keyed to the bezel so can't be turned upside down. On an early TR6 I have, just like a 4A, the switch is on the left by the turn signal and it is still down to engage. If you visit an English home, and want to turn on the lights in a room, you flip the switch down to engage. Just sayin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 06:01 AM by Britnut.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster