TR4A Trunk seal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rsanford Raleigh Sanford
Millington, Tennessee, USA   USA
Hello. I am in the final stretch to have my vehicle ready for Saturday car show. I will post photos soon. The seal from Moss was I think for TR4 - TR6. The bottom part seems to be keeping the trunk from closing fully. Is there some trick or modification needed. Thankfully, this glitch wont affect me much as far as being ready. Raleigh.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
I have the same problem, posted earlier. Recommendation was to use a TR6 seal, its different from the 4.

Hayesman64 Avatar
Hayesman64 Jere T
Westhampton, New York, USA   USA
rsanford,
I also have a 67 TR4A
ordered a trunk lid seal from TRF part no. 613277 , 5/ 2016 , $14.97, for a TR4A
i believe i used 3m adhesive black
did it slowly , a section at a time , using huge clothespin like pins , to hold it on tight
gave each section plenty of time to dry usually over night
when finished, it was a snug fit, so I did do a little adjustment on the bottom latch attachment
over time, it has become easier to close
i am pretty happy with the results

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hayesman64 Avatar
Hayesman64 Jere T
Westhampton, New York, USA   USA
sanford,
forgot to mention. Before starting, I completely cleaned off all the old glue & pieces of old rubber.
believe i used goof off
it was a lot off work, but looking back it was worth it

ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
+1 to what Hayesman said. When I did my car, I used strips of wood under the clamps so pressure would be applied over the full length of the seal. I had problems at first with the lower boot edge near the latch. Even after the cement had dried, the downward motion of the boot would pull the weatherstrip away from the metal. So after regluing it and letting it dry, I closed the boot while gently pulling the latch out towards the rear bumper. Once closed, I released the pressure and latched it. I left the boot latched for several weeks, hoping it would compress the seal. It worked.

Now when I close the boot, the seal stays in place.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 10:16 AM by ric350.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster