Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JonD Avatar
JonD Jon Distefano
Syracuse, New York, USA   USA
I attached one end at the fizzy hold down bolt and went directly to the main battery ground lug.

I installed a second from one of the altinator bracket bolts to the engine mount bracket where it is secured at the strut tower for good measure.

Hope this helps!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170811_161606.jpg    41.3 KB
20170811_161606.jpg

20170811_161554.jpg    46.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Ronanmd Avatar
Ronanmd Jason Lord
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Great - thanks

Jason

Ronanmd Avatar
Ronanmd Jason Lord
So a bit of an update. I replaced the pertronix coil with a new lucas sport coil. I have not yet reinstalled the dizzy with the pertronix ignition. Also installed a new voltage regulator and spliced in some new wires to the regulator from the harness to replace some of the corroded/dodgy wires and connectors. Couple observations.

1. I took the car out for a test drive. It seems to run well, no obvious issues so far
2. I retested the voltage at the battery with the new regulator installed. It still seems to bounce around like crazy (up to as high as 19V on some occasions)

I am going to drive it like this for a bit to be sure there are no issues. Then I will reinstall the electronic ignition.
I am planning on cleaning up the battery and engine ground straps. I will likely also add a separate new ground from the dizzy for good measure.

I am now wondering if the voltage spikes/fluctuations may be related to a failing generator? Just need to figure out how to test it!

Cheers,

Jason

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffNTc3ODkwYzAtYjRlYS00NDNmLWI0YTYtNjY5ZjQxZTA2NGFm

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Ronanmd Avatar
Ronanmd Jason Lord
Thanks Randall. Will have a look at that this weekend.

Jason

Ronanmd Avatar
Ronanmd Jason Lord
So, after reading a bunch of old posts on the forum, it appears that the fluctuations I saw with my DMM may be related to the way that the digital meter actually reads and samples the voltage. I retested using an analog dial multimeter and the fluctuations are gone. Steady at about 12-13V. I also replaced the female spade connectors to the voltage regulator with the correct larger size (10mm) terminals.
I reinstalled my electronic ignition and took it for a drive. Seems to run great (for now winking smiley ). I will test the generator tomorrow when I have a spare set of hands to help set the idle speeds.

Thanks for all the help!

Jason

JonD Avatar
JonD Jon Distefano
That's great news. I am hoping to get my new Pertronix kit Monday. With any luck I will be logging some hassle free miles.

Regards,
Jon

Ronanmd Avatar
Ronanmd Jason Lord
To be sure, I tested the voltage to the pertronix from ignition (12.7V) and made sure that the ground from the pertronix back to the battery terminal was sound (<.2 ohm). Fingers crossed for now. Good luck with your install!

Jason

Ronanmd Avatar
Ronanmd Jason Lord
Well now that didn't work. After determining it was the likely the coil that was the issue, I reinstalled the petronix distributor with a new Lucas sport coil. I also replaced my voltage regulator. I tested the voltage to the petronix (12.7V) and its ground on the dizzy plate (.1 ohm) to be sure there were no issues. Set the timing and the carbs. It drove great for a week with no issues. Then yesterday I had the exact same problem. Pulled away from my house, got up to speed and the car just stopped running. No sputtering or hesitation. It just stopped. It would not start. It turned over, but did not fire. There was plenty of fuel.

So I spent 10 minutes swapping out the dizzy with pertronix for the dizzy with points. I used the same dizzy cap and wires. Reconnected everything and it fired right up and drove great for the rest of the day.

I will be returning the pertronix. At this point I am thinking I may go back to points to be done with this hassle...but I may try another pertronix just to see if mine is screwed or if there is another issue lurking somewhere (e.g. intermittent faulty ground etc)

Jason

JonD Avatar
JonD Jon Distefano
I haven't received my replacement module yet that Pertronix that I ordered last week. They apparently forgot to mention that model was on back order.

I am seriously considering buying a 45D, swapping the drive gear, and adjusting the housing to fit.

Never thought I would be taking an electric ignition out in favor of points, at least we know they work.

Regards,
Jon

ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
Guys, just another data point - I have a Pertronix Flamethrower distributor in my Tr4a (installed by the PO), and it runs fine. Not sure which coil I have, as there are no markings on it, other than it is gold with a white top.

Jim

Ronanmd Avatar
Ronanmd Jason Lord
Some additional interesting findings today. I decided to call pertronix directly to see if they had any additional advice. They sent me some info to bench test the electronic module. I ran the instructions as they advised, and it appeared as though the module was functioning correctly. Based on this info, I decided not going to send the module back to TRF for them to bench test (seemed like a waste of time and shipping expense). So...I decided it must be an intermittent ground issue. I installed a new ground strap from the dizzy mount bolt directly to the battery ground (as Jon and others suggested). I then reinstalled the dizzy with the pertronix. However, the car still would not start. In fact, I could not even get a test light on the coil wire from the module to light up at all while adjusting the position of the dizzy at TDC to try to adjust the timing. So, I took the dizzy back out of the car and did another bench test. This time there was NO indication that the module was working at all! I put it back into the car...still no start. Took the thing out and replaced it with my dizzy with points - and the car fired back up without hesitation.

So...it appears that my pertronix is the issue and is having an intermittent fault. This would explain why the car runs great for a variable period of time and then just stops running. Based on this, I am sending it back to TRF tomorrow. My only concern is that if it is truly an intermittent fault, they may not find any issues on their bench test.

We shall see...

Cheers,

Jason

I will send the

In reply to # 1478588 by Ronanmd Well now that didn't work. After determining it was the likely the coil that was the issue, I reinstalled the petronix distributor with a new Lucas sport coil. I also replaced my voltage regulator. I tested the voltage to the petronix (12.7V) and its ground on the dizzy plate (.1 ohm) to be sure there were no issues. Set the timing and the carbs. It drove great for a week with no issues. Then yesterday I had the exact same problem. Pulled away from my house, got up to speed and the car just stopped running. No sputtering or hesitation. It just stopped. It would not start. It turned over, but did not fire. There was plenty of fuel.

So I spent 10 minutes swapping out the dizzy with pertronix for the dizzy with points. I used the same dizzy cap and wires. Reconnected everything and it fired right up and drove great for the rest of the day.

I will be returning the pertronix. At this point I am thinking I may go back to points to be done with this hassle...but I may try another pertronix just to see if mine is screwed or if there is another issue lurking somewhere (e.g. intermittent faulty ground etc)

Jason

JonD Avatar
JonD Jon Distefano
My new Pertronix kit arrived this evening, unfortunately bit too late to install.

Will put it in after work tomorrow and report back with updates.

Side note...has anyone used the hubcentric/lugcentric adapters?

Regards,
Jon

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster