AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Steven,
I found these pictures on the net and they show the plastic trim that fits on the inside of the crash pad handle to finish out the plastic/vinyl. Mine had a replacement piece made of sheet metal and it was pretty rusted.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
FFAE87FA-0AA3-43F2-85F1-F1AE3AB03352-4189-000004BC818BC160.jpeg    22.5 KB
FFAE87FA-0AA3-43F2-85F1-F1AE3AB03352-4189-000004BC818BC160.jpeg

4331059B-D29D-4648-AB53-44276C60B5AF-4189-000004BC4D36335E.jpeg    5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
triumph92 Steven A
Loveland, Colorado, USA   USA
thanks. Mine is a piece of metal as well with a Wrap of Leather around it. TRF dosn't have it and Moss shows not available.... Rimmer bros donst have it. Anyone have any ideas where to get that part? What did you do to replace yours Rut?

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
On the TR4 that piece is metal with a black finish on a leather grain stamping. Maybe the TR4a used plastic, maybe metal wrapped with leather. I don't know. But you may want to save that piece of formed sheet metal and refinish it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Steven,
I haven't replaced mine yet and I'll be on the hunt for one.
Edit: I just sent a message to Ashely Hinton in the U.K. to see if he would be interested in making them.
Rut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 07:08 AM by Perdido.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I recieved the TRF crash pads about a month ago. They seem to be nicely made, but it appears fitting them will require the careful use of a heat gun. Interested in seeing how others have done this. I have an original hand grip piece on my old pad and will try to post some pictures of it later.

Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Here are some close up photos of an original passenger side crash pad grap bar. The metal piece on the inside of the grab section is steel covered in vinyl that matches the crash pad.
Doug

Attachments:
Crash pad-grab bar section 1.JPG    41.6 KB
Crash pad-grab bar section 1.JPG

Crash pad-grab bar section 2.JPG    53.6 KB
Crash pad-grab bar section 3.JPG    46.9 KB
triumph92 Steven A
Loveland, Colorado, USA   USA
Oh if it's steel with vinyl as you pic shows, then I recon we all likely do have the corrct part, we are just missing the vinyl or leather.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I never noticed what gave that grab handle steel cover its leather grain texture. It is a thin paper vinyl glued on. The same stuff that wraps the plinth. Mine needed some attention. I thought about gluing on new vinyl but mine was in good enough shape some satin black paint freshened it up.

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
All

I will have to deal with this problem down the road as the pad was so badly rusted all the bolts broke for trying to remove the piece.

Question: has any one purchased the pad from BPNW? From their write up about the piece it seems that this is close to original.

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr3-tr4-tr4a/interior/crash-pad-right-w-grab-tr4-tr4a.html

Thanks Red

Perdido Avatar
Red,
Just talked to Bob at BPNW and their crash pad does not have the vinyl wrapped metal piece we need.
Rut

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Rut,
I don't think any of them come with that piece. The crash pads I got from TRF last month do not come with it, although the passenger-side piece does come with the three inset pieces for the screws so that you can reuse the steel piece from your old pads. I can't see a great demand for this item, but it would be nice if it were being reproduced. It's really a very simple stamping. I'm surprised that those companies that have gone to the effort of reproducing the steel spine for the crash pads didn't take the process one step further and make the insert too.
Doug

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Rut - Doug

Thank you for that information, I guess I will go with the TRF one then.

Red

Tommys4 Platinum Member Thomas G
Ojai, Calif., USA   USA
I haven't ordered those parts yet, However BPNW those folks are good people, I ordered a 65amp Alt. and received a 43amp. They shipped the the right part
and when I asked them about the other Alt. They said keep It. Wow

TTFN TMG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph Spitfire

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links