best grease for steering rack?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Drash David Ashby
Burlington, NC, USA   USA
Wasn't paying attention and posted this to the tr2/3 forum so re-posting here.

'63 TR4
Dismantled my steering rack to inspect and clean out the old lumpy grease that had been sitting idle in it for 20+ years. All internal parts were in good shape so I reinstalled loading everything up with red "n" tacky grease. Now I'm thinking I may have used the wrong grease. It's all back together and shimmed to get the right tensions etc but when I rotate the pinion it's not what you would call a smooth glide. Kinda hard to describe but my best attempt would be to simply call it a little rough as though you can feel the teeth on the pinion and rack meshing as the pinion rotates but definitely not sloppy.
When I was loading it up with that red " n" grease it was sticking to everything but not creating much of a build up if you know what I mean. That's why after testing I'm thinking the grease is too light weight. I'm sure tons of people have re-greased their racks so wondering what the popular opinion is on the best stuff to use.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CFMTR3A Avatar
CFMTR3A Carl M
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
For Standard Non-IRS box:

Moss Motors recommends Penrite Steering Lube #00. But at $20/500ml it is a bit pricey. There are also several recommendations for this product on the British Car Forum with comments about #00 grease. John Deere Corn Head Grease is mentioned as an alternative.

When I was researching the JD product, I found an alternative at Tractor Supply at $5/Qt (950ml) https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/super-s-cotton-picker-spindle-grease-00?cm_vc=-10005.
A friend had some leftover Penrite and comparing the two I don't see any difference in thickness or appearance other than coloring. I haven't re-assembled my box yet (next weekend) but will be using the TSC.

Also posted on TR2/3 Forum.

ghawk16 Gary H
Dublin, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1465065 by Drash Wasn't paying attention and posted this to the tr2/3 forum so re-posting here.

'63 TR4
Dismantled my steering rack to inspect and clean out the old lumpy grease that had been sitting idle in it for 20+ years. All internal parts were in good shape so I reinstalled loading everything up with red "n" tacky grease. Now I'm thinking I may have used the wrong grease. It's all back together and shimmed to get the right tensions etc but when I rotate the pinion it's not what you would call a smooth glide. Kinda hard to describe but my best attempt would be to simply call it a little rough as though you can feel the teeth on the pinion and rack meshing as the pinion rotates but definitely not sloppy.
When I was loading it up with that red " n" grease it was sticking to everything but not creating much of a build up if you know what I mean. That's why after testing I'm thinking the grease is too light weight. I'm sure tons of people have re-greased their racks so wondering what the popular opinion is on the best stuff to use.

I used the Red N Tacky grease in mine and it moves just fine. I cleaned it out thoroughly and then put mine back together the same way it came apart so it didn't mess with the spacing or anything like that. I read in other places that's what people used so I went with that.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Drash David Ashby
Burlington, NC, USA   USA
Thanks for the feedback.. i think I"ll leave the red "n" alone for now as the rack moves back and forth ok just doesn't seem to be all that smooth but maybe I'm getting too anal about it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster