Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Jim Smith on the TR6 forum found a shop in Fairhope, AL that sandblasts, welds, and powder coats frames, etc. and I decided to try them after speaking with the owner. They sandblasted, welded in suspension and diff reinforcement pieces, repaired cracks, and powder coated the frame in gloss black. They also did the same for some additional brackets and a pair of seat frames along with a pedal box. To say I'm happy with the result is an understatement...high quality, great price, and quick turnaround!
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0135.JPG    49.2 KB
IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG    66 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0137.JPG    58.5 KB
IMG_0138.JPG    64.7 KB
rod-h Avatar
rod-h Silver Member Rodney Hamilton
Lago Vista, Tx, USA   USA
Rut, that is sweet.

Rod

The older I get the more cynical I become, but, I can't keep up.

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
That looks great! I hope the powder coating holds up for you over time. thumbs upthumbs up

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Tommys4 Platinum Member Thomas G
Ojai, Calif., USA   USA
Very Very nice Rut

Perdido Avatar
Thanks guys! I plan on additional parts and possibly another frame being blasted and powder coated by the same folks. As far as durability is concerned it's got to be better than the unprimed chassis black paint the factory applied...
Rut

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Rut,

Looks great! How's the shop situation working out?

Jim

ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
Rut, looks good!
What is the name of the shop you used?
Also did you consider a replacement frame like Ratco offers?

Jim F

Perdido Avatar
The shop has morphed into building a house and a shop on a lot we just purchased this spring. We are waiting on the final blueprints so we can break ground...hope to be in in about a year.
I looked at the Ratco frames and they are nice, but budget dictates an original frame with suspension and diff reinforcement upgrades. The shop is Fairhope Iron Works and they do a little bit of everything...may use them for the metal railing around the deck.
Rut

Perdido Avatar
I know this is way too anal, but having these seat frames blasted and powder coated probably added $10 to the bill and I just couldn't help myself!
Rut

Attachments:
IMG_0150.JPG    86.2 KB
IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG    104.7 KB
Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Rut,

Look great, but are you maybe a little dyslexic? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I wouldn't try to mount them that way.

Jim

BL50 Avatar
BL50 Silver Member Brian Leslie
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA   USA
Rut,

Very nice! I too found a local shop that will media blast and powder coat at a very reasonable rate - as long as you pay cash and run it through the back door! Although I didn't do my whole frame I've taken many components that would have taken me hours to clean up and paint myself. After seeing your pics I'm wishing I would have had my frame done but I didn't want to spend the money at the time.

Nice work!

Brian

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
Pretty work. Makes you feel good when you find someone who takes pride in doing a good job at a reasonable price.

Good for you - you were due some good fortune.

Regards,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1464888 by BraxtonO Pretty work. Makes you feel good when you find someone who takes pride in doing a good job at a reasonable price.

Good for you - you were due some good fortune.

Regards,
Braxton

Braxton,
I like getting back on the horse and getting this frame done helps a lot. Quite frankly I've been a very blessed person with good fortune at every turn and I know it. I was pretty down after the fire, but my best friend, the love of my life, made it all good again. Thanks for the kind sentiments.
Rut

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
The frame looks to nice to cover with a car Rut! Nice big piece of wall art!! I have 2 sander blasters now. One cabinet and a tank blaster for larger jobs. Three more days to work then I'm retired, might put some of my equipment to work.

Perdido Avatar
Jimmy,
Retired? Say it ain't so...you are way too young! As quick as you get things done while you're still working, I can't imagine what you'll do working on your cars full time!
Rut

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster