AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
- How do you clean the f!#$%!# off metal
...ie, wiper gear housing..

- what are you priming with ?
...i've been grabbing anything handy..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I soaked the wiper gear housing in engine degreaser and then used a scrubby and steel wool. The steel top was more difficult. I had to lightly sand it but didn't want to take it down so far that I lost the original stamping, so there is still some pitting. I used a light mist of clear on the steel, The grey metal casting I left as is. The black motor housing wasn't wrinkle painted, so I cleaned it with sand paper, steel wool and painted it satin black with its natural imperfections.

My aim is to preserve originality, not to change or improve what was done at the factory. But there are choices that can be hard. For instance the original signal indicator paint is still on the steering column, but the black paint is faded. I may try to buff it out, but it wont match the new black paint on the rest of the column. So I may need to apply a new signal indicator over fresh black paint.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I went to the paint shop today to check on progress and snap some pictures. At some point in the car's history someone had done a number to the front end. Rather than unbolting the fenders, they basically ripped them off where they join the apron. The lower valence was replaced and not welded back in the right position. A lot of reconstruction of the sheet metal has to happen to make things correct. Luckily there is enough sheet metal and clues each side to verify the repairs are correct.
Look how clean other areas of sheet metal are!
I have decided to lift the body off the frame to clean and take care of a few things. I wont disturb areas that don't require attention. The underside of the floorpan is dotted with surface rust and the frame needs a good cleaning and painting. I can more easily take care of the Dampers where they bolt to the frame.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
100_1068.JPG    54.7 KB
100_1068.JPG

100_1069.JPG    36.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
100_1070.JPG    42 KB
100_1071.JPG    44.8 KB
Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
More pics. The front sheet metal that holds the headlights showed signs of having been beaten out with a hammer when the poor body work was done. It is sand blasted and ready to be dollied back to shape where it's tweaked. Luckily rust isn't the problem on this car!

Attachments:
100_1072.JPG    44.1 KB
100_1072.JPG

100_1073.JPG    51.7 KB
100_1074.JPG    47 KB
malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
Marcus, have you considered strengthening the side edges of the hood.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Almost finished re-wrapping the wiring harness with the correct blue tape. Bummer, it takes two rolls! Lots of parts have been cleaned and painted, wrapped and put away for now. Doing a little every day and staying to a schedule.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Most of the parts have been cleaned, painted and wrapped for final assembly. Each headlight assembly took an hour to clean and paint. Soda blasted the carbs in preparation for rebuilding. Sand blasted the manifolds. TRF parts are rolling in...all that's left to come are blue trim panels and blue leather upholstery. The engine, trans and frame need to be cleaned and repainted. The dash needs to be cleaned, prepped for Spa White paint.
My goal is to be done by the end of October.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Some of the parts in process. I was able to use the felt around the fascia vents. The carbs need polishing but the grimy stuff is off.

Attachments:
100_1075.JPG    44.3 KB
100_1075.JPG

rod-h Avatar
rod-h Silver Member Rodney Hamilton
Lago Vista, Tx, USA   USA
Wow, it's looking really good, the little things really set the car apart from the pack.

Will there still be a stripe in it's future? I like stripes...

Rod

The older I get the more cynical I become, but, I can't keep up.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Thanks for the compliments. I know it's looking worse before it looks better - just the way it goes. Rebuilt one SU carb today, cleaned polished and coated with clear enamel. Went to the body shop to deliver some fasteners.

No stripe - sorry - it will be powder blue. I think in the 70's powder blue didn't look manly so a lot were repainted. However, Triumph deemed powder blue manly enough for all its early works/rally cars meant for racing. Maybe it was to stand out against the red white and black of most racers.

Attachments:
20170831_103753.jpg    29.9 KB
20170831_103753.jpg

20170831_103745.jpg    46 KB
Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
The dash was sand blasted lightly and treated before being primed and resprayed with Spa White enamel. Now it gets wrapped and put away until its time for final assembly. The exhaust system was cleaned and put away, the steering column done and checked for continuity - it needed a new grounding strap. The wire harness has been finished with several new connectors. Now to clean and detail the engine and transmission.

Attachments:
100_1080.JPG    50.7 KB
100_1080.JPG

100_1081.JPG    59 KB
100_1083.JPG    33.1 KB
100_1086.JPG    25.5 KB
Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
You may consider this setup for plenum chambers drains

Attachments:
plenum_drain.jpg    26.4 KB
plenum_drain.jpg

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Not a bad idea. If the tube got plugged you could blow it out. I don't actually drive a lot in the rain with the scuttle open so it has never been a big worry, but I could see after years of driving the tube could get clogged with dust and debris.

Geko Avatar
Geko Stef SG
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia   MYS
The idea is more to prevent the water from remaining trapped inside the inner wing area and the sills and lower part of the wing to rot away as they all do

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I understand what the longer drain tube does and I think it is a good idea. Wonder why the engineers didn't design it that way. Probably never thought about these cars being on the road 60 years.

I've been busy cleaning, sand blasting, priming, painting parts. Lots of parts. The seat frames needed a fair amount of attention, some welding, cleaning and new plywood for the upholstery to staple to. The fuel tank was in very good shape. Seems the factory never bothered to really paint the fuel tanks much past a quick splash of primer. Usually the tanks have a fair amount of bare metal. I chose to clean and paint the entire fuel tank. The radiator looks to be a 1962 version. Has the crank hole and a stubby extension instead of the long TR3a long extension. I assume this is an original radiator.
The switch plinth was originally pressed cardboard with a black leather grained plastic. My original is not salvalgeable so I found a new one. It needed the holes cut which was done with a dremel tool and some careful sanding.
The engine is getting cleaned up and the transmission will come off for some light bead blasting and check of the clutch disc.
Next up is the steering column which will need new bushings. So until the new bushings are put in the paining will wait. The steering wheel and column will be sprayed with several coats of black lacquer.
The Midnight blue leather upholstery and trim arrived from TRF and is beautiful. The upholstery work will be a last step and so it stays in the box for now.

Attachments:
100_1091.JPG    40.1 KB
100_1091.JPG

100_1092.JPG    38.2 KB
100_1093.JPG    35 KB
100_1094.JPG    42.1 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster