AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
Brighton, Michigan, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Well, not much has happened in a year. The windshield and rear light were removed, I went up to Canada and bought a new bonnet, and got a transmission, racing tune books, misc parts, radiator. Then the garage where the work was to be done was taken over by my business. So the project has sat for a year and a half.

I just received the Heritage Certificate. The car has all matching numbers and was originally fitted with Blue Leather seats. That was the piece of info I needed to put the car back original.

I have changed my plan after visiting a restoration garage. He suggested not taking the car off the chassis because the underside is original powder blue with the factory undercoating. The car will be treated as an original driver, get a fresh paint job topside, new interior, rubber, trim where needed and cleaning.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
62 TR$ other side.jpg    37.6 KB
62 TR$ other side.jpg

IMG_1082.JPG    38.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Good to hear things are still in the works,Marcus. Sometimes life get's in the way of toys.sad smiley Like me though,you have one to drive and one to work on!

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
This week I had time to finally strip the car down, pull the engine and transmission, pull the prop shaft and remove the exhaust system. No big surprises or rusty bolts (well I did snap an exhaust header bolt). The car is light enough I rolled it up on the tow dolly single handed. I took the shell to the car wash and washed it thoroughly. The front fenders need work where they meet the grille and apron. Other than that the body is in very good shape.
It's now at the paint shop for a few months. In the meantime I will be cleaning up all the sub assemblies, rebuilding the seats, re-wrapping the wiring harness etc...
I have ordered everything needed for the refitting from TRF. The hardest thing to find was the switch plinth, somehow I got lucky and found one. The heater fan motor had busted loose from its riveted mount, and was made right.
The blue bonnet came from a guy way up in Canada. The white bonnet has a dent that can't be easily removed.
The fun begins!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170817_135016.jpg    27.5 KB
20170817_135016.jpg

20170817_113044.jpg    32.8 KB
20170817_113032.jpg    26.8 KB
20170817_113021.jpg    31.4 KB
Carera John D
Tampa, CA, USA   USA
Nice project. Hope you'll continue to update us about the progress

TR4EVER Avatar
TR4EVER James R Sullivan
Tuckasegee, North Carolina, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Trouble"
1967 Triumph TR4A
GREAT, thanks so much for sharing. Love all the photos, they help me get ideas and relize how much I don't know. Love this forum and all the help and advise. Keep up the good work. Have a great day.
Randy in the boonies

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
List of things to make right besides cleaning and painting
-Check the reverse overdrive micro switch - not always working
-Solve elongated mounting holes for rear dampers
-Rebuild SU carbs

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks all

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 1479000 by Trike4
-Solve elongated mounting holes for rear dampers

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks all

These are weird bolts. EVERY time I've swapped or removed the rear shocks on my TR4, I was required to retorque the bolts after say 500 miles because they had come loose. I tried new nylocs, deformed thread nuts, and the only thing that worked was retorquing them. I realize this won't fix your issue, but at least I hope it won't happen again.

It looks like a great car, the white bonnet will go to someone at some point who needs it. Kyle.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Those bolts on the dampers require some special socket and can't be tightened with a spanner. Mine are so loose every bump makes a loud thump as the bolts move in the frame. I may have to weld up the holes.

If anyone needs a bonnet they can have it - pick it up or just pay shipping. I think someone sat on it just over the windshield wash fluid and the sheet metal is sprung. Maybe somehow it could be fixed. Otherwise it is a very nice piece of sheet metal.

BL50 Avatar
BL50 Silver Member Brian Leslie
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA   USA
Marcus,

Glad to see you're back at it ... keep the pictures coming!

Brian

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
Marcus.....IMHO, seeing that you have gone this far into the restoration...have you considered doing a complete restoration with the body off the chassis. .media blasting etc.
Future scenario... you may look back after your "original driver" outcome and wish you had gone further.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I know what you mean. I agree, going this far, it isn't much more to take the body off the frame. I have restored/preserved five mustangs, 3 VW beetles, a Moris Minor, a TR3A, and 3 TR4s. What is special about this car is that it is all matching numbers, a factory aluminum hardtop, and shiny powder blue peaking through factory undercoating. It's a slippery slope once you start a restoration, how far to go, how much to replace, how much gets rebuilt with new parts. You can almost build a TR4 from scratch with new parts.
If the frame was in bad shape, or big problems mechanically that would be a different story.
So I'm going the route of preservation - retaining original where ever possible. This car will be driven and enjoyed, so doing a concours perfect showroom restoration is antithetical. A perfect car is usually trailered, sold at auctions and shown a couple times a year. If taken care of this car could be around another 60 years. There isn't anything that can't be fixed as time goes on.

ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Only Original Once

I wish mine was that clean!

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
Ordered the blue harness wrapping tape today

Blue Wiring Harness Tape

malbaby Avatar
malbaby malcolm baker
kyabram, Australia   AUS
I appreciate your logic...I see that you have been down the restoration path many times...keep posting pics for us.

Trike4 Avatar
Trike4 Marcus G
1963 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "Trike"
I'm doing a few jobs each day so when the car is painted all the parts are ready to be re-installed. So far I have cleaned and painted the pedal assembly, wiper motor, dimmer switch, instrument cluster and the window channels have been rebuilt.

Attachments:
20170823_130611.jpg    36.4 KB
20170823_130611.jpg

20170823_120135.jpg    34.3 KB
20170822_142642.jpg    26.3 KB
20170823_133814.jpg    27.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links