Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
The kit in the instructions is the leather TRF kit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
5141941 Avatar
5141941 Gold Member John McLaughlin
Somerville, MA, USA   USA
on the polyester batting, JR6 thickness. How thick is it in inches? JOANN clerks don't know

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Interesting that I bought mine from Joanne Fabrics as A6 thickness. It is difficult measure the thickness and it really isn't that critical. The stuff I used 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick uncompressed. Thin foam will work as well for the "hood" that pads the frame and smooths the transition to the back foam. The advantage of the batting is it is readily available and piece left over from cutting the hood can be used to fill in spaces between the cover and the foam. The batting "sticks" to the foam and stays in place.Remember to leave room for the back foam when gluing the batting to the frame back. Unlike foam, the batting can be "stretched" to fit.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was fighting roof quote issues today.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
5141941 Avatar
Thanks.

5141941 Avatar
8 WEEKS AND NOTHING SO FAR. TRF SAYS MIDDLE OF AUGUST ! WON'T MAKE "DAY OF TRIUMPH" THIS YEAR

DB67TR4A Dennis B
Hampton, Georgia, USA   USA
1967 Triumph TR4A "Red Car"
Excellent instructions. I had spent weeks trying to figure the how to recover the seats. My clips were unusable and it takes several suppliers to obtain the proper clips. TRF has the (according to your instructions) the Type 1 and Type 2 clips and Rimmer Bros. has the Type BC 1 clips which also can be used as the Type BC2 clips. Rimmer Bros have the Type BC3 clips

5141941 Avatar
Called TRF this AM, Seat kit should be here next week!

5141941 Avatar
The seat kit finally arrived.I've got the bottom done on both seats. A little confusion at the back cushions. The back cushions are thicker on one side, I think the thinner side goes to the door,thicker side to the middle of the car. Before I glue it up, can anyone verify this ?

DB67TR4A Dennis B
Hampton, Georgia, USA   USA
1967 Triumph TR4A "Red Car"
Yes, the thinner side goes to the door. Also, this summer when I did my seats the seat cover were labeled incorrectly. They had the left hand seat cover labeled as right hand and vice versa. It took me a few hours of wrestling with the cover and foam before I realized the error.

David in France David Gunning
Rostrenen, cote d armor, France   FRA
Thanks for such a detailed set of instructions.

Although I was happy with the quality of the leather seat replacements I purchased from the TRShop in London they could not supply a set of fitting instructions. I then e mailed their supplier who made the seat covers but still no success as they say they only supply upholstery companies (company called Newton).

Newton also supply the other main tr dealers in the uk but the TR Shop were by far the best on price.

Now need to source the additional parts required and tackle this as a winter project along with a new burr elm dash.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
David,
Jim did a great job on his instructions and I followed them on my seats and they turned out very nice. I'm now the caretaker of DesertTR and his seats were beautifully done along with the rest of the car. Really miss Jim!
Rut

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1488990 by Perdido Really miss Jim!
Rut

Amen.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

BL50 Avatar
BL50 Silver Member Brian Leslie
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA   USA
Ditto.

Jim's brother Steve was finally able to find and download all of Jim's "before" and "after" photos as he restored his '66 TR4A. He sent them to me on six CDs - there are probably 600 or more photos. As soon as I have time to upload them to a hosting site I will post a link so we can all continue to benefit from Jim's labors as Rut takes over as care-taker of Desert TR. Stay tuned.

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 06:48 AM by BL50.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster