AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
TR4A Seat Rebuild Instructions

In the process of setting up to redo my TR4A seats I searched for any available instructions. Not only did I not find any, I wasn’t even able to find instructions for the kits required for the rebuild. The TR4A is different from both the TR4 and the TR6. Even then the instructions I found for the TR6 were somewhat simplistic. I couldn’t even find detailed pictures of completed seats. The closest was the John Skinner site, but even these were inconsistent. (Check his photo gallery and compare the light blue with dark piping set with the medium blue set and you’ll see what I mean.)
The covers on my seats were replaced with home made ones when sets weren’t yet available, but the foam on the passenger seat, while degraded, was still original and as installed by the factory. Using this as a model, I rebuilt the seat and used the opportunity to create a step by step instruction guide for the TR4A seat that others might be able to use. I’ll state up front I’m not an upholsterer, but have helped put in a few interiors. (Mostly hog ring and wire type)
The attached instructions may not be the way a professional approaches it, but, good or bad, I did end up with a completed seat. They may well be over detailed, but I decided it was better to include too much information and too many photos than not enough. I also included mistakes I made along the way. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out The instructions have been broken into sections to accommodate the site’s file size restrictions. Please feel free to ask questions or make comments and suggestions.

I apologize upfront for any typos…

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 06:39 PM by Desert TR.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
039.JPG    42.9 KB
039.JPG

Triumph TR4A Seat Rebuild A.pdf    2.35 MB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Triumph TR4A Seat Rebuild B.pdf    2.36 MB
Desert TR Avatar
TR4A Seat Rebuild Instructions Part 2

Attachments:
Triumph TR4A Seat Rebuild C.pdf    1.95 MB

Triumph TR4A Seat Rebuild D.pdf    2.06 MB
BL50 Avatar
BL50 Silver Member Brian Leslie
Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA   USA
FANTASTIC!

Thanks Jim! My seat kit from TRF just arrived today. Your hard work and attention to detail will save me many hours I'm sure. Thanks again for your help.

Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hayesman64 Avatar
Hayesman64 Jere T
Westhampton, New York, USA   USA
JIM,
I HAVE THE 67 TR4A. NEED TO DO THE SEATS. YOUR INSTRUCTIONS ARE TERRIFIC. THANKS A MILLION FOR POSTING.
IN YOUR FIGURE 69, DO YOU KNOW THE PURPOSE OF THAT SEAT CLIP ATTACHED TO THE RUBBER BUMPER?
JT

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Ditto on the thanks. Your time, effort, and details are really appreciated. I'll be printing this out and putting it in my folder for the time my seat rebuilding comes around.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Desert TR Avatar
JT,

That clip (blue arrow) is meant to clip onto the top of the seat track mechanism. It is designed to keep an empty seat from tilting forward during braking, etc. They are know for breaking off during use and I only have one myself.

I hope the instructions work well for you. Just remember, it still takes a bit of work and a lot of patience. Walk away and take a break when you get frustrated (and you will!). I refer to using heat. Keep it to what you might expect on a sunny day. (Steam works better, but I, like most, don't have that kind of equipment.)

Jim

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
Jim,

Great detailed instructions. I'm not quite to the point of re-doing my TR4A seats, but I will have to before long. Foam crumbling out and back card holes pulled out, such that the back cards gap open at the top and sides.

I've saved your instructions on my iPad - all four sections. I can't imagine a better guide.

Thank you so much for doing this. Your attention to detail shows in the great results on your own seats. But also in these fantastic instructions.

Much appreciated.

Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

Hoover, Alabama, USA   USA
Great instructions. Thank You !

5141941 Avatar
5141941 Gold Member John McLaughlin
Somerville, MA, USA   USA
winking smileyThis will be the second seat rebuild on my 4A . I was dreading the rebuild till I found these instructions. When I finish I'll post a few pics. It'll be a while ,have to build up reserves of PATIENCE.

5141941 Avatar
Progress so far thanks to the instructions and PATIENCE

Attachments:
DSCF1974.JPG    56 KB
DSCF1974.JPG

5141941 Avatar
More, the cleaning of the frame, old adhesive residue and a little surface rust at the bottom, took the most effort so far.Painted yesterday and let set in the sun. I think the next bit will be most difficult. I have new burlap and batting.Not sure if the batting is thick enough. Will do trial fit before gluing up. I'm using the MOSS seat cover kit and, I find there is no pocket for the tension spring. Has anyone experienced the same?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-22 10:58 AM by 5141941.

Attachments:
DSCF1975.JPG    44.6 KB
DSCF1975.JPG

5141941 Avatar
I've sent the Moss kit back. Moss didn't have an explanation for the lack of the tension spring pocket. DELAYS, DELAYS!confused smiley Ordered The Roadster Factory seat kit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 01:14 PM by 5141941.

Desert TR Avatar
John,

The tension spring is important. It's kind of like wearing pants without a belt. If you sit there's a good chance people will see the crack! smileys with beer I will point out that TRF has their kits built to order in Suffolk, England, so it will be awhile before you get it.

Jim

5141941 Avatar
Well said. I didn't think of it that way.grinning smiley

5141941 Avatar
Got an email from TRF. The delay is 8 weeks ! Hope the order will be completeeye popping smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster